three

The Kyln, High-Security Prison. The five walked through the hallways of the prison, cuffed, in order of Gamora, Liv, Rocket, Quill, and Groot. But Rocket kept yabling his mouth, annoying the rest of them. "I guess most of Nova Corps wanna uphold the laws, but these ones here, they're corrupt and cruel," Rocket said as a slightly worried expression emerged on Liv's face. "But, hey, that's not my problem."

"It's not?" Liv asked.

"Of course it's not. I ain't gonna be here long. I've escaped twenty-two prisons, this one's no different," Rocket told her, and Liv slowly nodded. "You're lucky the broad showed up because otherwise, me and Groot would be collecting that bounty right now, and you'd be getting drawn and quartered by Yondu and those Ravagers."

"So lucky," Liv muttered sarcastically under her breath.

"We've had a lot of folks try to kill the both of us over the years," Quill started.

"You don't really scare us," Liv added.

"That's not very stable to raise a teenager," Rocket added.

"Shut your mouth," Quill threatened. "Point is, we ain't about to be brought down by a tree and a talking raccoon."

"Hold," the guard said and they all froze.

"What's a raccoon?" Rocket asked.

"What's a raccoon? It's what you are, stupid," Quill said.

"Ain't no thing like, 'cept me," Rocket said before they were led towards a different hallway.

"So, this orb has a real shiny blue suitcase, Ark of the Covenant, Maltese Falcon sort of vibe. What is it?" Quill asked.

"I am Groot," Groot said.

"So what? What's the Orb?" Quill asked.

"I have no words for an honorless thief," Gamora said, keeping her eyes in front of her.

"Pretty high and mighty coming from the lackey of a genocidal maniac," Rocket said and by this Gamora looked back at him. "Yeah, I know who you are. Anyone who's anyone knows who you are."

Gamora looked in front of her as Liv stared at the green woman in curiosity. "Yeah, we know who you are," Quill said but then he leaned over Rocket, whispering in Liv's ear. "Who is she?"

"I don't know," Liv answered, annoyed.

"Watch it buddy!" Rocket snapped and Quill went back to his place.

"I am Groot," Groot said.

"Yeah, you said that," Quill said, before they all stopped again as the guard unlocked another set of doors.

"I wasn't retrieving the orb for Ronan, I was betraying him. I had an agreement to sell it to a third party," Gamora explained.

"I am Groot," Groot said as they walked into yet another hallway set.

"Well, that's just as fascinating as the first eighty-nine times you said that. What is wrong with the Giving Tree, here?" Quill asked.

"Well, he don't know talking good like me and you. So his vocabulistics is limited to I and am and Groot. Exclusively in that order," Rocket explained.

"I tell you what, that's gonna wear real thin, real fast," Quill warned, but right then, they walked by a section full of guards with the prisoner's belongings. But Quill saw a prison guard with his walkman and headphones. "Hey. Put that away." They all stopped as Quill slipped into the room as the door closed behind him. "Hey! Listen to me you big blue bastard, take those headphones off, that's mine. Those belong to the impound, that tape and that player is mine!" But the guard stunned Quill down with an electric baton as his peers watched. "Hooked on a Feeling, Blue Swede, 1973, that song belongs to me!" The guard continued to stun him, as Liv watched, her jaw dropped as if this was the first time she witnessed him get beat up. It wasn't, and yet, she was still surprised.