Chapter 4

"I'll see you tomorrow night" Bakugo says as he places the heating pad he warmed up in his hands on the counter. He squeezes my shoulder on his way toward the door. We ate with comfortable small talk for the rest of the meal, the two heroes discussing their plans for work next week but keeping it brief.

The mood had shifted to an odd place. Kirishima seemed to shut down while Bakugo warmed up.

"Till then" I say as I scrub the last dish and hand it to Kirishima to put away. We hear the door close behind Bakugo and Kirishima closes the cabinet solidly. "Whoa. You alright?"

"Yeah. Fine. I'll get your bath ready" he turns and heads upstairs. The clawfoot tub is in the master bathroom next to the large walk in shower that has two shower heads on either side of the area and a waterfall head on the ceiling. It's my dream bathroom, to be honest.

"Everything okay?" I ask, leaning against the doorframe of the bathroom. I followed him upstairs because he seemed down.

"Yeah. Just tired" he's holding his hand under the water to test the temperature. When he deems it perfect, he plugs the drain and throws some bubble bath in.

"Bubbles? You spoil me"

With a soft smile, he goes over to the dresser in his room and pulls out a set of pajamas for me. The set consists of a set of boxers with a matching oversized t-shirt in my favorite color. He knows I like to sleep as unrestricted as possible but need the comfort of something on me. Switching from home to home as a kid was always disorienting, the only consistent thing I had was the same set of pajamas that were a set of boxers and a t-shirt. It was a weird thing, but comfort is comfort. Who am I to deny it?

He sets the clothes on the edge of the sink and pauses in the doorway. "Your towel is on the back of the door and you know where everything else is. Holler if there's anything else you need."

"Thanks Eji. You're the best"

He nods and ducks out the door, closing it behind him. I can hear his footsteps pad across the wood floor in the master bedroom and out into the hall, the tags of his dog jingling behind him. Hank comes back to lay outside the bathroom door, making me smile. He knows I always feed him scraps when Kirishima isn't looking and he's hoping to get some after dinner snacks right now.

The food motivated dog is well trained and Kirishima pays the high school kid next door to come over to play with the energy ball and let him out when Kirishima has long days. The neighbor also watches the news to see if Red Riot appears and doesn't have time to call so he can come over and take care of Hank for the evening. It's a great system and I don't know what Kirishima is going to do when the kid goes off to college in the next couple of years.

The brace left welts in my skin from where it was securely attached and it's precarious work to get undressed and toss the clothes into the laundry hamper with how sore my leg is. I pull a hair pin out of a drawer of the vanity to twist my hair up and out of the way before stepping into the tub. I groan as I sink into the water, letting the heat seep into my sore muscles. Running is stupid and I never want to do it again.

I wonder if I could convince Kirishima to bring me dessert in here? I think as I close my eyes, wondering after the man that chased me. It could be several different parties that's trying to get my information. My guess is he works for the Meldrum. There's no telling how far he'd go to keep Lilly's murder quiet.

I doze off after figuring out nothing and only succeeding in giving myself a new headache. I wish I could wipe my own mind sometimes.

My leg throbs as I try to stand up and it isn't able to support my weight. I slip in the tub and land hard on my ass. Hank barks outside the door.