Chapter 5

Like always, the nightmares find me and keep me from having a restful night.

"Y/n" Kirishima whispers, jostling me in his arms.

"Sorry" I grumble, sitting up and pulling my knees into my chest, making myself into as small of a form as possible. It's a way I've found to comfort myself when the dreams are particularly bad.

"You were crying in your sleep" he sits up and leans against the head rest while he rubs my back and I wipe my face. Sure enough, it's wet.

"Nightmare"

"I gathered that" his hand stills "can I hold you?"

I think about it for a second and then nod. He pulls me into his lap, keeping me in my little ball as he tucks me in under his chin.

"Do you still have nightmares about the accident?" He asks quietly

"Every night"

"Have you talked to anyone about them?"

"Every professional I have ever met said 'they'll go away with time'. Fifteen years later..... here we are" it sounds harsher than I mean to. "The more my leg hurts during the day, the worse the nightmare is"

"Anything I can do to help?"

"This is good" I take a couple of deep breaths, breathing him in.

"How is your leg?"

"Not as bad as yesterday. Back to normal aches."

"Can you talk to a doctor about pain management?" He seems so concerned that I don't have the normal want to snap at him to mind his business.

"I've done what I can. It is what it is, Eji, but I appreciate your concern."

"Alright" he says after a brief pause, realizing that I don't want to talk about it anymore. I'm always in pain but I manage it on my own as best I can and it works for me. It's just this time of year with the shifting seasons that really make it flare up. There will be days in a row of mild twinges and then a week of having to wear my brace to find some semblance of comfort.

I crack an eye open and notice it's still dark outside "When do you work next?" I ask.

"Not until day after tomorrow."

"Do you want to be my backup to check out the storage unit?"

"I'd love to" he rests his head on top of mine.

"Alright let's go" I try to wiggle out of his arms, but he squeezes me tight.

"Y/n, it's two in the morning. It can wait." He yawns.

"But I'm awake now" I whine

"And soon you won't be" he shifts us down so I'm laying on top of him, my legs straddling his hips, head on his chest. He runs a hand through my hair and the other one along my back, slipping under my shirt to scratch lightly on the bare skin.

"It's not going to work" I stifle a yawn.

"You say that every time"