Chapter 20

The two men slowly scan the room and eventually lock eyes with me before coming over and taking a seat across from me.

"Gentlemen" I nod at both of them then make eye contact with Jacobi "I see you're too much of a coward to face me alone."

"Before you make any remarks you can't take back," the extra man in a sharp looking suit says "we should let you know that this conversation is being recorded and streamed to a different location so if you think you can take our memories to save face, you're mistaken."

"How do you know what my quirk is?" I ask. It's not widely known and I'm very careful to take the memories of people around me that find out. Marcus, Kirk, Kirishima and Bakugo are the only four people that I let remember my quirk. It's not even listed in the official register because I know it could be taken advantage of.

"You made a mistake when you erased Martin's memory of you." He explains. Martin must be the man that chased me a few days ago.

"And how is that a mistake?"

"You should have taken your interaction away, not the entirety of your existence from him. You revealed your quirk and now my organization wants you. The good news is, you also want something from us."

"This meeting isn't happening." I stand, fighting my expression against the pain.

"If you walk out of this building, conclusive evidence that Red Riot and Dynamight pocketed cash from the bank robbery will be sent to the police. Stay and agree to our terms and the real evidence that the 'witness' who actually pocketed the money will come out." He sounds bored as he threatens my men. I'm practically shaking with rage as I plop down and cross my arms. Jacobi has the audacity to look guilty.

"Tell me your name." I reply.

"I'm Gil." He hands me a business card that only says 'Gil' and a number.

"Descriptive."

"So you want something and my organization is going to want something with your quirk."

"You can say Meldrum. I have no doubt he's behind this. And if you're asking me to give up my investigation of Lilly, you can forget it. Pun intended" I spit back.

"Lilly's situation is handled. That's not what we want." He says, indirectly confirming that I'm right about Meldrum.

"Tell me what you want and then I'll think about it."

"That's not how this is going to work. We'll do you this favor, then you'll owe us."

"You're going to have to sweeten the pot."

"What else could you want besides these men you're clearly involved with to be safe and rightfully cleared?" He teases but it comes off as cruel.

"Of course" I grind out through clenched teeth. I finally look over at Jacobi who is just staring at the table like a kid that's been caught drawing on the walls by his parents. "What do you have to say about all this? What happened to the hot shot that was threatening me yesterday?"

"Sorry" he mumbles

"That's it? Sorry?"

He looks up at me and gathers his courage as he meets my eyes "You had to know this was coming someday. You're reckless."

"You're blaming me for this?"

"You stick your noise in the business of everyone else, you were bound to get bit by it someday" he shrugs

"Says the guy who was taking pictures of me when I was on a fucking date!" I whisper shout, trying not to attract the attention of the other people around us.