Chapter 42

I crack my eyes open and hear the monotonous beep, reminding me that I'm still alive. That's unfortunate.

My throat hurts and I can barely move. Tubes and wires are attached to me at different places and there's a very uncomfortable one shoved up my nose.

My limbs don't obey me at first and only when I focus all my energy on it, can I move my hand far enough to hit the nurse call button.

"Ms. L/n!" A bright and smiling male nurse walks in. According to the whiteboard posted on the wall in front of me and the name tag on his scrubs, his name is Xander. "It's so good to meet you! I've been taking care of you for quite some time now."

"How long?" I croak and he helps hold my head while I drink some water.

"Two weeks. Do you not remember? You were dumped on our doorstep, mostly dead." He explains, grabbing my hand in what is supposed to be a supportive manner. I don't feel any warmth.

"When can I go home?" I already don't want to be here and will do everything in my power to make this the quickest hospital stay in the history of modern medicine.

"Well, since you're up, you can be fitted for your prosthetic. You were measured for it while you were in a coma, but we have to do a fitting while you're awake and can stand up." He continues to talk about my potential physical therapy sessions and what to expect with a prosthetic, but it's not sticking.

Until I look down.

There are two mounds in the sheets where my legs are. One mound is significantly shorter than the other. I whip the sheets off me, ignoring the stiffness I feel in my joints from not really moving in two weeks. I stare at what remains of my legs. Well. Leg.

I don't have a left knee anymore and I grip the air where my painful limb used to be. Then it hits me. I'm not in pain. It doesn't throb. I won't need a brace anymore. The pain of my old injury isn't there because my leg isn't there. I can vaguely feel a ghost pain from it, but looking at it makes me realize that it can't cause me pain. Not from the plane crash anyway. I'm sure there will be pain days from remembering how I lost my leg.

I laugh. Xander looks at me with concern. "Sorry. I don't really know why I'm laughing" I say through a giggle.

"You're in shock." He says softly, reaching out to rub my shoulder. I flinch and he lets go of my hand too, giving me the space I need. "People deal with the sudden loss of limbs in different ways. Do you want to talk to a therapist about it? We have plenty on staff here."

"No, I'll just call my me-..... oh. Ummm" I don't know how to finish that sentence. I have no one to call. Even Calvin is dead now.

"There was a man that has visited you everyday. He seems sweet and even brought flowers to brighten up the room" he gestures to a bouquet of my favorite kind of flowers. I have no doubt that Meldrum has been here to watch over me, waiting for his newest tool to wake up so I can resume my duties. "He didn't leave a number, but I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see you awake."

"Don't let him in here. I want to be alone" I say, a little panic seeping into my voice.

"Okay. Whatever you need." He turns to leave but seems to remember one more thing as he pivots back to look at me "your prosthetist will be in a little bit with your new leg and we'll get you up and moving right after that. It'll be great!"