Escape Rooms

Y/N groggily opened his eyes and felt his cheek against the cold hard ground. He sat up and felt his back crack. He looked around to gather his senses. He was in a dimly lit bathroom looking place. It didn't look like it had been cleaned in years. In one corner, Mario and Luigi were unconscious in a pile.

Y/N crawled over to them and shook them awake. They woke in a similar fashion that he did. Y/N gasped when he noticed that both their of their left foots were chained to the wall. Y/N turned to check his, realising that he was chained as well. There was enough length to move around the room, but not enough to actually leave the room through the doorway that was on one wall.

"Where are we?" Luigi asked.

"Not sure," Y/N replied, trying to be the calm one of the group. "Wherever we are, we should find a way out. It could be dangerous".

A TV on the wall suddenly crackled to life, showing a masked person on the screen. "I want to play a game," the mystery person said. "In thirty seconds, those bear traps on your heads will close, killing you instantly. Find a way to get them off or its all over". The person on the screen disappeared and a timer replaced him, counting down from thirty.

Instinctively, Y/N's hands flew to his head, his heart dropping when he felt cold, rusted metal sitting on his head and jagged points scratching at his skull. He tried to pull traps off, but they were so tight that if he tugged on them any harder, he would probably draw blood. The timer continued to tick down further as the group began to panic even more.

Luigi collapsed to the floor and started crying while Mario smacked his head against the wall. Y/N spied a tool near him. He picked it up and put it against his head. Carefully, but quickly, he pried the teeth off his head without hurting himself. After it popped off, he dashed over to Mario and Luigi and helped the with theirs. The moment Luigi got his off last was the moment the timer went off. The bear traps snapped shut.

The TV showed the masked man again. "Well done on passing the first challenge, but there are more to come". At that moment, the door swung open. Y/N watched as the chain that tied them were suddenly pulled into the dark doorway. Y/N felt the chain go taught and knew what came next. All three of them were tugged down the hall into a large tunnel. Several spikes, walls and other obstacles stood in their way. "It's the tunnel of doom, baby!" The man's voice echoed out.

Luigi and Y/N managed to get to their feet and run with the chain to avoid tripping again. Luigi dodged around walls while Y/N leaped over spikes with relative ease. Mario however, rolled across the floor like a rag doll, bumping against every obstacle on the way down.

Suddenly, the chains stopped and the sudden stop plus the momentum built up, threw Luigi and Y/N onto their stomachs. They picked themselves up, realising they were in some kind of pretend train station. They climbed onto the platform and dusted themselves off.

Y/N's hard was struck with fear as the masked man appeared out of the darkness on a tricycle. "Haha, are you three having fun? I know I am!" Without replying at all, Mario jumped forward and kicked the man in the face, throwing backwards. "Ow," he cried. Mario proceeded to dance and say some very graphic things. The man got to his feet, his expression hidden behind his mask. "Big mistake!" He growled. The chains went taught again and all three were pulled the rest of the way down the tunnel.

They emerged from the tunnel and into a huge chamber. They were dangling from their feet in the air. It looked like they were in some kind of furnace used to heat metal. Luigi looked down and saw the bright orange liquid. "Lava!? What the heck is happening!?" He screamed.

Like before, the TV on the wall turned on. "Time for the ultimate test of heart," he said. "Each of you has a button on your ankle, pressing it will release you're shackle, dropping you into the lava, but ensures that the others, are free to go". Mario gasped in shock while Y/N looked up and saw the button by his ankle. "Decide now! Oh, and the lava is rising so if you don't act soon, you all die. Goodbye".