First Day

A/N: I'm not totally proud of this story just yet, but once we get into our first story arc, it will get so much better so bear with me. : )

Y/N groggily opened his eyes and sat up in his eyes. At first he was confused as to where he was, but after a second, he remembered everything, cementing the fact that it had really all happened. He was in Peach's castle, in the Mushroom Kingdom.

He got out of the bed and walked out the door, for now, the castle seemed empty. He stepped outside and winced as the sun hit his eyes. He'd have to get used to the new intense sunlight. By the looks of it, it was nearly mid-day, he hadn't realised how tired he was.

He heard someone walk up behind him. He turned and saw SMG4 with a mug in hand. He walked next to him and handed Y/N the mug. "Here, this'll clear away the sleep," he said. Y/N took with a thanks and took a sip, it was warm and tasty. "Hot chocolate, tastiest stuff ever".

"You said it," Y/N said. "Although, it'll never beat sea salt ice-cream". SMG4 stared at him, confused. "Oh, its a flavour of ice-cream we used to have back home".

"Sea salt? Doesn't sound very appealing," SMG4 said.

"One day, you'll taste it and I'll be watching as you love the flavour," Y/N said with as smile.

"Okay then, since we're here, I have a question for you?" Y/N turned to him with a raised eyebrow. "How experienced are you with memes?"

"Memes?" Y/N asked, he racked his brain for anything like that in Twilight Town or maybe something Sora might've said. "What are memes?"

SMG4's jaw hit the floor, his eyes were wide in pure shock. "You...don't...know...memes?" He grabbed Y/N's hand and hauled him back into the castle. He ran into a room on the veranda in the main area and practically threw him inside. SMG4 walked over to a table and chair with computer on it and turned it on. He opened an app and typed 'meme' into the search bar. "Watch and learn, Y/N," SMG4 said as he hit enter.

For the next couple of hours, SMG4 scrolled through endless pictures and purely strange videos. He was laughing and laughing at every single thing that came up, while Y/N was struggling to understand what he was looking at. He was slowly beginning to understand why they were funny, but he wasn't laughing at them.

"I don't understand," Y/N said. "Why do you like these so much".

"Because they're funny," SMG4 replied. "Plus, I often make videos centred around memes, they get really popular".

Y/N nodded and turned back to the computer, staring intently at the screen. A new video showed up, this time Y/N laughed a tiny bit, just tiny exhale out of his nose. It didn't sound lie, much, but SMG4 acted as if it was the most beautiful thing in the world. "Yay! See, I knew memes would grow on you, everyone loves memes. Even world-travelling, key sword people like you!"

"Just world travelling, the Keyblade's gone remember?" Y/N said downcast. He realised he hand't tried to summon it at all today, so he may as well try now. He held his hand out and closed his eyes, concentrating hard on envisioning the Keyblade materialising into his hand. Finally, he closed his fist...and nothing happened. Y/N growled and let his hand fall limply by his side.

"Hey, that's okay, it's only your first full day here. I'd be surprised if it appeared just now," SMG4 said as he patted Y/N's shoulder. "You just need to train some more".

"How can I train if I can't even summon it!?" Y/N said as his voice raised in volume. "Feels like a dead end to me".

SMG4 put his hand on his chin and was deep in thought. "Hmmm," he muttered, suddenly he raised his finger to the roof as an idea hit him. "Aha! I got it". Y/N urged him to go on with his idea. "Well, we both agree that some training is needed right?" Y/N nodded, not entirely sure where he was going with this. "Well, it just so happens that one of our friends happens to be a person who is really crazy about training. Meggy!"

"That Inkling girl from yesterday?" Y/N asked. "What exactly does she do that requires training?"

"Well, for a long time, she's been training to win a competition her city holds called splatfest. Just a few weeks ago she lost another one. But that hasn't gotten her down and she's up again training for the next one".

"I see," Y/N said. "And this training helps a lot in getting stronger?"

SMG4 nodded. "Yeah, next time she's here, you can ask her to help you out if you want, Mario often joins her too. Maybe then you can summon your Keyblade. I'm sure she'd love to help, that or she'll just train on her own while you follow her around, either way you're doing something, right?"

"I guess, but I'd like to get my Keyblade as soon as possible".

"Yeah, I get it, really. But your in a new world now, why not just spend a couple of days just, you know, resting?" SMG4 asked. "If its true that Xehanort has no idea where you are, then you do have time to think about things first".

"I...I guess you're right," Y/N said, finally giving in. "My Keyblade won't come back overnight, I know that. But I'll still see if I can train, maybe it'll help clear my head".

"My thoughts exactly," SMG4 said with a smile as he offered his fist out. Y/N smiled and connected it with his own smile. "Don't worry, Y/N, I'll have your back as long as you need".

"Thanks, SMG4," Y/N replied happily. Then he shrugged as he looked at the computer screen again. "By the way, these memes were quite funny, though the meaning and purpose of them escapes me".

"Oh, well why didn't you say so?" SMG4 said as he jumped from his seat and dove head first into a chest in one corner of the room. He pulled out a large book and slammed it on the table. The cover read 'History Of Memes'. He opened it to the first page, blowing cloud of dust off the page and clearing his throat. "Het comfortable, Y/N, you're about to get schooled on a brief history of memes!"

For the entire rest of the day, the two boys sat in that room. Y/N was listening intently to the history and evolution of memes as SMG4 happliy recited everything he knew about memes and which were the most popular and because of that, figure out how to get the most positive feedback from his posts on the internet. To some, he was knows as 'the meme lord' or the 'lord of memes'. While today wasn't exactly productive, it was fun and it built up Y/N and SMG4's friendship and for now, that was all that was needed.

But they would soon find out that wouldn't be enough for everything.