Twilight Town

A/N: For clarification, this story deviates from the lore after KH III: ReMind and will follow its own story. 

Many Years Ago

Xehanort sat on the window sill and looked out the window of the tower. Far below him was the absolutely massive and beautiful city of Scala Ed Caelum, the entire place was a broad and seemingly endless ocean with large islands dotting all the way to the horizon. The islands were perfectly shaped into pyramids, covered entirely in bone white buildings. At the top of every building was a huge tower with wires connecting over the ocean to different islands. Along those wires were gondolas going in all different directions, taking the countless amount of people living here to where ever they wanted to go.

As he watched a flock of white birds fly past the window, he looked away from the view and set his eyes on the box in front of him. He reached down and opened the lid, he put his hands inside and pulled out a chess board, he set it out and picked up the white and black pieces. They, just like the board, were made of marble with a gold tip, an assortment of different symbols on the top of them. He organised the pieces into the classic set up, the black pieces on his side, and rested his hands on his legs.

"Eraqus should be here soon," he mumbled to himself. He looked into the box again and smiled. "He's always afraid to accept defeat". As he brushed a few strands of his white hair out of his eyes, something glinted in his eyes. He squinted and followed the light to the box, he looked closer and realised a small nail on the box was glinting. Xehanort leaned closer to the nail and inspected it. He tilted his head when he realised something interesting. This wasn't a nail at all, it was a button! How had he not realised that before?

He raised his finger and pressed the button on the side. Suddenly, a hidden compartment on the box popped out, revealing a dusty chess piece inside. He picked it up and blew the filth off it. This piece was different to the others, it was black and white, a different colour on either side. The tip was glinting gold with a symbol unlike any other he had ever seen. This one's symbol held a heart symbol but it was purposely made to look cracked, on the verge of shattering.

Xehanort smiled again, he had a feeling that this piece would make an interesting new change to their game. It was then that the door on the other side of the room opened and a boy with black hair and wearing a white cloak, perfect opposite to Xehanort's black clothes and white hair, walked through. "Took you long enough," Xehanort laughed as Eraqua sat down on the other side of him.

"Sorry," Eraqus said, "I got held up with something". He looked down at Xehanort's hand and raised an eyebrow. "What's that?" He pointed to the piece still in Xehanort's hand.

He flipped the piece in his hand and showed it to him. "Found this new piece in the box, it's different to the rest. Want to try it out?" Xehanort asked.

Eraqus looked up and smiled competitively. "Hah, let's do it, I'm going to crush you this time!"

"I keep telling you, Eraqus," Xehanort said as he raised the piece. "It's always the same; in the end, Darkness prevails and Light expires". Then he slammed the new piece down in the very centre tile of the board.

The game had begun...

0O0

Present Day

Lazy Afternoons - KH II OST

Y/N groggily opened his eyes and sat up in his bed. He rubbed his head as the memory of the strange dream he just had came back to him. This one was the exact same as the dream he had the night before, and the night before that.