"𝑺𝒉𝒆𝒔 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒆𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒚 𝒐𝒏𝒆." - 𝑿𝑰𝑰𝑰

We decided we would catch a bus back home. Two-Bit left me and Ponyboy sitting on a bench while he went to get cigarettes at a gas station. 

Ponyboy's eyes were starting to shut but when I touched the back of my hand to his forehead, they shot open. He jumped a bit and looked at me with confused eyes.

"Are you okay? You're burning up." I said. 

"I'm alright." He said. By this point, Two-Bit came back. I gave Ponyboy a look that told him I didn't believe him. He seemed to panic a little.

"Don't tell Darry, okay? C'mon guys, be a buddy. I'll be fine by tonight." He said. "I'll take a few aspirins and it'll be fine."

Two-Bit nodded his head and got distracted by something else.

"Alright, but I better not catch you taking more than two." I said. 

Ponyboy nodded his head.

"You know something," Two-Bit started on the way home. I was sitting beside Ponyboy with his head on my shoulder and Two-Bit was sitting behind us.

"The only thing that's keeping Darry from being a soc is us." Two-bit finished. 

"I know." Ponyboy mumbled.

Everyone stayed silent the rest of the ride. As we got off the bus, Ponyboy spoke up. "Tonight- I don't like it one bit." 

Two-Bit pretended not to understand. "I never knew you to play chicken in a rumble before. Not even when you was a little kid." He was trying to make Ponyboy mad and he knew it. 

"I ain't no chicken, Two-Bit Matthews, and you know it!" Ponyboy said angrily. "Ain't I a Curtis, same as Soda and Delaina and Darry?" Ponyboy asked.

"Where did you get the idea that I was a Curtis?" I asked.

Ponyboy's ears got red. "I meant because, y'know, ya live with us." He said. "My point is, I have a feeling somethin' awful bad is gonna happen." 

"Somethin' is gonna happen. We're gonna stomp those socs' guts, that's what."

"No, no, Pony's right. I kinda feel it too." I said.

"Well, you guys are still gonna come, right?" Two-Bit asked.

"Yeah, 'course we are. Ain't that right Delaina?" Ponyboy said.

"Yeah." 

~

Cherry Valance was sitting in her Corvette in the vacant lot when we passed by. Her long, red hair was pinned in an up-do. 

"Hey, Ponyboy, Delaina." She said. "Hi, Two-Bit." 

"What's up with the big times?" I asked.

"They play your way. No weapons, fair deal. Your rules." She said. We nodded our head. 

Two-Bit turned and started heading on home. "Thanks Cherry." 

"Ponyboy, wait. Stay a minute." Cherry said. I felt a pang of jealousy, but it went away when she continued speaking. "You too, Delaina." 

"Randy's not showing up tonight." She said.

"Yeah, we know." I said. 

"He's not scared. He's just sick of fighting. Bob..." She swallowed, then went on quietly. "Bob was his best buddy. Since grade school."

I thought of Soda and Steve. Would they stop fighting if they saw the other killed? No. Maybe Soda, but definitely not Steve.

"Hows Johnny?" She asked.