Chapter 18

-Serenity's POV-

Today the Handmaids would be meeting together. 

There were rumors of more outspread resistance and altercations throughout Gilead. Some of these rumors had to do with Handmaids, Marthas, and even Eyes...

The suspicions were everywhere and I had a sinking feeling that they would not be going easy on us today. Maybe they were trying to weasel out any potential rebels? Maybe they were hoping someone would crack. 

I tied my cloak and prepared myself for whatever I would face as best as I could. 

Relax Serenity, you aren't a rebel. You aren't in league with those "terrorists" or planting bombs. 

The only thing I was guilty of however was plotting to escape. Plotting to escape with the son of my Commander who I was also screwing. So technically two things I was guilty of. 

I steeled myself and kept a neutral face as I walked out the front door, to the gate, to meet my walking partner. 

She too looked a bit on edge surprisingly, shifting her eyes around and tugging her cloak nervously as I approached. 

"Under His Eye," I greeted her. 

"Under His Eye," she responded, more like squeaked. 

We made no use in ideal chatter, instead preferring both to remain silent as we walked over to our point of pickup. Once we arrived we would be taken somewhere. We didn't know where just yet, but we assumed another Center. Where else would we go?

As I walked, I took note of the presence of extra Eyes around the town, armed in their black uniform and long-barreled rifles. Their extra presence also spoke of the rising tensions I had heard whispers of. 

I wondered just how high and close those tensions were rising around us. 

The van ride was also as quiet as our walk. We were joined by a few more Handmaids, some of which I hadn't met before, but the atmosphere in the van was tense. 

There was that sense of uncertainty. 

"Are OfWilliams and OfJude not joining us?" one of the younger Handmaid's suddenly asked quietly. 

We all looked around.

"No, I guess they aren't." someone replied. 

OfWilliams and OfJude... Why wouldn't they be included? They were a part of the Handmaids in this community. They were there for our meetings and any duties we had to attend to. 

"They're with child, so I guess not," another shot back kind of harshly. 

They were pregnant. They were pregnant and for some reason that disqualified them to join us wherever we were going. That thought alone made my stomach sink. They would never hurt a child... So did that mean there was a possibility they were about to hurt us?

We didn't have much time to contemplate that because soon the van stopped and the door opened suddenly. 

-

"Girls. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedules to be here. I know we would all rather be doing something else than to be here, but unfortunately, we have some matters to take care of." 

Aunt Lydia was standing at the front of the plain room and she had motioned to someone. 

A side door opened and there was a glimpse of something red being dragged between two black figures. 

A Handmaid. 

The men stopped beside Aunt Lydia and they yanked the poor woman's head up, revealing a pale and bruised face I remembered seeing once or twice before. Aunt Lydia walked over slowly and cupped the woman's chin.