Chapter 9

Quick Author's Note: We have a new story cover! I hope you all like it! You can now see our characters visually so hopefully, that helps as you're reading too. I should be updating more frequently! Enjoy!

-

"OfJames. You have yet to conceive yet in your placement... That is most concerning. How are you adjusting in the Adams household?" Aunt Lydia asked from her seat. 

After the fourth failed "ceremony", I currently found myself in Aunt Lydia's company being seemingly interrogated on my shortcomings. 

She wore an almost concerned look on her face, only pausing momentarily to sip the tea handed to her by Lena minutes ago. 

What does she expect me to say? Why Aunt Lydia I think I'm doing pretty great. I only mildly mind that I get raped once a month. The Commander isn't as rough anymore actually and I don't actually do much outside of that. By the way, the Commander's son and I basically have sleepovers when my panic attacks get bad enough. He's an attractive single man about my age. I'm sure that's alright with you and God right?  

"I'm doing quite alright Aunt Lydia," I said looking at the teacup in her hands, reminding me of Ezra and I's recent kitchen escapade. 

She made a 'tsk' noise, "My dear. I care for you girls. I want to ensure you are all well. You are so special! God's chosen vessels to carry out a miracle." 

She leaned in, "If you are not adjusting for some reason, please do let me know dear alright?"

I smiled stiffly, "Of course Aunt Lydia."

-

"Go fuck yourself bitch." I said as I watched Aunt Lydia depart from the home to the car awaiting her. 

Mrs. Adams held Aunt Lydia's hands warmly and smiled as they spoke and I turned from the window. 

"Such a mouth. Sometimes I forget." 

Leaning against my doorframe, in a black suit, looking like a damn Abercrombie model, was none other than the Commander's son. 

I smirked, "I highly doubt you could forget when I remind you so constantly asshole." 

He pretended to grasp his heart, "You wound me 'renity. I thought we were friends?" 

"Told you not to call me that, " I said and pretended to roll my eyes while glancing back at his appearance, "We're... something like that." 

-

"You're leaving? When will you be back?" I said, eyebrows furrowed. 

Ezra had gone and made himself at home on the bed, laying on his back and staring at the plain ceiling. 

"Yup. It's just some Gilead stuff. I'll be back soon though." He said with a far off look and popping the 'p'. 

I looked back at his suit. "Is that why you look like you're going to a job interview for the presidency?" 

That cracked a smirk from him. 

"As great of a president as I would be, no. Gotta keep up appearances as you know. Besides," He said and leaned upon his elbow, "The ladies kind of dig it."

"Who are you trying to impress Casanova? Mary Bridgette, some random Commander's daughter, so you can begin to repopulate Gilead with little freckled babies?" I scoffed. 

The look on his face told me I was in danger... "Only if they are yours." He said, biting his lip slowly. 

A warm chill ran down my spine and I felt my eyes widen slightly.