Prologue

Dreams POV

   I could tell you the moment I fell for both of my best friends, or at least when I realised what they meant to me.

   With George I fell around 6 months ago. The week we’d spent together after Sapnap had let him go. I was only supposed to be watching him while his mother was gone, because she was afraid he’d hurt himself.

   He’d opened up to me more than ever before, finally letting me in. It had been so easy to do the same with him, telling him how I felt about anything and everything. Even though we’d been friends for years I found out things about him I never knew, and it only brought me closer to him.

   So one morning, after Sapnap had arrived, I woke up with curly brown hair in my face. Even though George had insisted on sleeping on my floor, sometimes during the night he ended up in my bed. When I asked him what he was doing he muttered something about being cold, before snuggling up next to me.

   I knew he hadn’t been getting much sleep so the sight of him sleeping, curled into my sight, brought me happiness and a stomach full of butterflies. I watched as he groaned, and opened his eyes to look up at me.

   “Hi.” A warm smile spread across my face, “Sleep well?”

   “Yes, you're comfortable.”

   “Awe Gogy likes cuddling with the homies.” The gentle teasing had him burying his face into my chest.

   “Shut up,” his voice was muffled and tickled my bare chest, “Let me go back to sleep. You’re very warm and I don’t want to leave.”

   I hated having to push him away from me to get ready for school. But I knew if I didn’t I wouldve said something stupid or let myself believe he wanted me back. Turned out to be a good decision when I’d heard he and Sapnap got back together.

   It hadn’t taken me much longer to figure out my feelings for Sapnap. He and George had just gotten back together after George had asked him to Prom, and when they realised I had no one, they invited me to go with them.

   “Hey Dream!” I pulled my headphones off, turning around to see Sapnap smiling in my doorway, George hiding behind him, “Are you ready?”

   “Ready for what?” What could we have to do at 4 pm on a saturday?

   “We’re going shopping for Prom, remember? You and I need suits and someone has to go along with Georgie to help him pay for a dress!

   “Hey!” George protested, “I can pay for my own dress! I don’t need your guy’s help!”

   “Of course you do, I want to make sure you get what you want, not something cheaper because you don’t have the money.”

   George huffed in defeat.

   “Oh, about that,” I rubbed the back of my neck, “I actually haven’ found anyone to go with, so I think I’m just gonna sit this out, I have next year anyway.”

   “No way. You’re Captain of the football team Dream! How in the world did you not find anyone?”

   “I had someone in mind, but they’re already taken and it doesn’t feel right to take someone else and lead them on. Plus everyone else on the team has a date so it’s not like I can go in a group with friends.” It wasn’t a lie. I didn’t want to see George with Sapnap and do anything I’d regret and lose them.

   “Nonsense.” George spoke up, “If you have no one you’re coming with Nick and I.”

   Sapnap hummed in agreement, and I protested, “I appreciate the  offer, but I really don’t want to ruin your date, I mean you two need the time with each other. Things have been hard enough without someone crashing a date.”

   “Then you won’t be crashing the date.” Sapnap smiled, “We can all go together. As a date. Obviously George and I are dating, but it’ll be a date for all of us. I’ll pay for dinner and drive us there. And all three of us can take turns dancing together.”

   George laughed, “Sapnap, are you flirting with Dream?”

   Why did I blush at the idea of Sapnap being into me?

   Prom itself was when I accepted it. Watching Sapnap and George dance together made me jealous in a different way than I thought. I wasn’t jealous of Sapnap, how he was holding George. Instead it had been their love, jealous I couldn’t have a part in it. 

   Eventually Sapnap pulled away from his partner and walked towards me smiling. He did a cliche bow, holding out his hand, “May I have this dance?”

   I laughed, taking his hand and allowing him to pull me into the crowd of people. A softer slow song came through the speakers and I let myself be pulled into warm arms. He rested his head on my shoulders and I let my hown head rest on his.

   “You look quite good tonight Dream, whoever it was that said no to you must be blind.”

I felt a blush creeping up my neck and I was glad he couldn’t see my face. He’d always been one to hype me up, but this felt different. I loved it.

   These two boys were going to be the death of me.