☁️~ 2 ~☁️

☁️

Liam entered the Discussion Room with Louis, the two of them no longer holding hands. Liam wasn't sure if he was even allowed to comfort Louis, but he could tell how nervous he was, so he did it anyways.

The King and Queen were already in the room, sitting at one end of a long table. They looked up from some papers on the table as soon as they heard the boys come in.

"Your Majesties, I have brought Louis here, upon your request," Liam bowed slightly.

This wasn't exactly the Victorian Era. People spoke in this land like you would speak today. However, everyone felt a certain need to speak more formally to the Royal Family, if ever in their presence.

"Thank you, Liam. You are dismissed," the King said with a deep voice that - although he would never admit it out loud - sent a slight shiver of fear down Louis' spine.

"Hello, Louis. Please, have a seat," the Queen gestured to the chairs across from her and her husband.

The Queen's voice was softer, more kind sounding. She had the kind of voice that instantly made you feel at ease.

Louis nervously sat across from the Monarchs, looking down at the table. He wasn't sure if he was allowed to make eye contact.

"So, Louis, I'm sure you're wondering why we've summoned you here. Well, I'm going to be a bit blunt about it. We want you to-" the King started.

"Des, please. We don't want to overwhelm him," the Queen interjected.

The King looked at her, and they seemed to have a conversation with their eyes. Louis shifted in his seat uncomfortably.

"Well, Louis, let me explain. We've been having some troubles with our son," the Queen said.

The King and Queen had a son - Prince Harry, if Louis remembered correctly - who no one seemed to know much about. He had a private education, and only just recently turned 19. He was kept out of the public eye until he was mature enough to be able to rule the country. This was just so that if he caused any trouble, the people wouldn't be made aware of it, and no one would think him a bad person based on his past actions.

"As you might know, Harry is 19 now. In the Royal Routine, the next family member to inherit the crown gets engaged at 19 and married at 20 or 21."

"Most Princes or Princesses to be married are introduced to some more upper-class citizens. People who might work in welding or masonry, or anyone who seems like a good fit for the Monarch-to-be."

"This is so that arranged marriages don't have to be made. Yes, the age of marriage is arranged, but the person they're marrying is up to the Royal."

"Harry, however, has been a bit..." the Queen hesitates.

"Irritating," the King said for her.

"I was going to say problematic," the Queen said, giving the King a small glare before continuing.

"Anyway, Harry has been problematic. We've introduced him to all the people we thought he would be compatible with, and he's treated them like the last people he would ever want to be near."

"He's actually been like this for a while. He's so... I really hate to talk so rudely, but he's being so disrespectful, and quite frankly, a bit of an arse."

Louis couldn't help the small gasp that escaped him at hearing a Royal swear. It wasn't against the rules or anything, it was just surprising, to say the least.

"Yes, I know, I'm sorry for my language. In any case, we need him to get better. If he keeps being like this, he'll never be able to rule the land with as much care as we do. So, we need a less privileged person to be able to teach him what it means to just be kind for no reason."

"We need you, Louis, to teach him to be good. I know working at the Stables isn't something you love. I know that you're a bit more poor than some other citizens. But I also know through Liam's visits that you're a good person regardless."

"You've been through so much, and we just think that you'd be the perfect person for our son."

Louis takes in all the information at once. He had no idea that Prince Harry was so problematic for the Monarchs. And they wanted him to marry the Prince? A Prince and a horse tamer. It was insane.

"Wait a minute. I hope I don't sound rude, but why in the world would I want to marry a - your word, not mine - arse?" Louis asked, more than a little confused by this situation.

The Queen laughed - a cheery and light sound - before looking at Louis with a polite smile.

"You're perfect for him. I think with time, he could be perfect for you as well. Please, give him a chance," the Queen said softly. "Unless, of course, you're straight."

"No, I'm definitely gay. But I don't know... I'm only 21. That might seem old enough to you, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to get married yet. Especially not to someone I don't know," Louis responded uncertainly.

The King and Queen make eye contact before the King speaks up.

"We're willing to offer you money," he states bluntly.

"What?" Is the only word Louis can force out.

"£72.78 for a year of being engaged to our son. If you two end up hating each other, you can call off the engagement and keep the money," the King continues.

Louis just stares at him. Shocked is too small of a word for what he's feeling.

"I'm sorry, but if you honestly think that money will change my mind-"

"£7275.25. That's the most we're willing to offer."

Louis' eyes almost pop out of his head with how wide they grow. He opens and closes his mouth a few times.

"I don't want your money. But, since this is that important to you, I guess I could give it a try," Louis sighs.

"So you'll do it even without pay?" the Queen asks, sounding like she'll burst with excitement.

"Yes," Louis answers.

"YES! Oh thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!" the Queen practically screams, jumping out of her chair and running over to Louis.

She pulls him out of his seat, picking him up into a tight hug. Louis feels like he can't breathe. Possibly for more than one reason.

☁️