Chapter 38 - Liars

Being in car with four of my siblings for hours on end feels claustrophobic.

This is made worse by the fact that I am – naturally – stuck in the unpopular middle seat. I tried to trade spaces with Noah, but he just laughed at me. And not even my patented puppy dog eyes had any effect on Jack. He pointed out that he has already generously given up the passenger seat to Aidan. Doing me a favor on top of this would apparently be asked too much of him. I eventually decided to count my blessings and be happy that I am at least not forced to share the backseat with a grumpy Aidan.

Despite his luxurious seating position, he kept complaining repeatedly about the "inconvenience" of us having to cut our trip short "because Lily has a stalker". It took Sam several attempts until he finally managed to hammer it home that this is by no means my fault. It's not like I chose to have this creepy guy spy on me, so I am glad that Sam stood up for me when I didn't have the energy to do so myself.

The happenings at the gas station are still haunting me even four hours later.

I don't know what is having a worse effect on me: the fact that we have obviously been watched and followed by that creep, or my oldest brothers' reactions to it.

No matter how hard I try, I can't get the pictures of Josh and Jordan's physical fights followed by Sam's struggle to keep Jordan from jumping on his motorbike out of my head. I am used to their playful roughhousing at home because I grew up around that, but seeing them getting into a serious fight is a whole new experience. One that I am not comfortable with at all.

Although I was plenty occupied, what with trying to get my own emotions under control, it certainly didn't escape me that my brothers' nerves were clearly on edge after my encounter with the stranger. And that it evoked the same strong reactions as it did when it happened the first time at the baseball game sure doesn't make me feel any better about this all. If anything, it makes me feel more anxious.

Something is clearly up and I am dying to know what it is.

I had half a mind to ask Jack on our long drive home, since he must have gathered at least some intelligence on what is going on when he was out there with the older three while Noah, Aidan and I were forced to wait in the car. Luckily, I realized just in time that me asking these questions would definitely alert Sam. He obviously doesn't know that we younger siblings are actively trying to get to the bottom of some of their secrets. It would be very inconvenient if he found out about this and it would no doubt also jeopardize Will's fact finding mission on the East Coast.

Has he found out anything yet?

All throughout our trip, I have not heard a peep from him. This would generally not be anything to worry about since Will is not known to keep in touch simply for the sake for being sociable. He would have scoffed if I as much as suggested that he keep me updated on his progress – or to check in with me every once in a while to tell me that he is fine. I can be glad if he shares his findings with me upon his return.

As I am pondering Will's situation, my phone buzzes, making me jump.

Is this telepathy?

With clammy fingers, I grab the phone that I have shoved under my thigh after I had a slightly heated chat conversation with Noah and Aidan on there earlier. I shared my intention to question Jack with them since these two are the only people I can talk to about this kind of stuff. I told them that I believe that Jack might have gathered useful information but they very firmly told me to "keep my mouth shut" until we have a chance to catch him alone, confirming that it was best not to question our brother in front of Sam.

I had been hoping that they would see it differently though, because I feel like I am going to burst from apprehension if I don't soon find out what the reason for the older twins' freak out was.