Ch:09 • What Next?

Days passed like this, as much as Kartik and Naira began to shift closer, Kartik started drifting apart from the Goenkas. Dadi was not liking this at all.

Kartik was ignoring her because of the tone she used on Naira. He very well knew that after Manish she was the first one to agree to this marriage and still she was behaving like this with Naira.
Kartik exchanged only work related words with Akhilesh and Manish.
He greeted Swarna occasionally as she was the only person in the house who respected Kartik's relationship with Naira.
Surekha was invisible just like dadi for him.

It was just another hectic day and he entered his room at mid-night, ruffling his hair and as expected he found Naira sleeping in an uncomfortable position.

"Yaar yeh Naira phir se mera wait karte karte so gayi...pura din toh kaam karne se ise fursat nahi milti aur raat ko bhi aaraam karne ke bajaae madam ko mera wait karna hai..."
He adjusted her in the bed and put the blanket over her.

He heard soft breathing. He realised that Naira was snoring. He chuckled and kissed her forehead, later he went to sleep.

Next morning they didn't get time for eachother as Kartik rushed early for office.
In the office everyone was looking tensed up.

Kartik was continuously typing something on his laptop and employees kept moving in and out of his cabin with files. His P.A stood there turning pages of the files like mad.

"Sir saari files check karli par woh petition nahi mili." Said his P.A giving up.

"Don't say that Gupta ji...aapko pata hai agar woh petition nahi mili toh mujhe Mr. Watson se milne khud Switzerland jaana padega..." Kartik was hoping nothing like that should happen.

Just then he received a phone call, it showed an international number.

He answered the call. After the call ended, he looked really dejected.

"I'll call you." Kartik told his P.A while leaving.
________________________