Chapter 2: A New Beginning

"Korra!" Kourtney called to her. "Wake up! Time for school!" They had been living with their aunt Kya and her wife Lin Beifong, the chief of police, in Republic City for the past five months.

Korra crawled out of bed and was not at all thrilled with going to a new school. This will be the first time she's been back in school after the death of her parents.

She was starting her junior year of high school, even though it's already a half way through the first quarter, while Kourtney was out of school and she was working to help pay for her and Korra.

Their aunt had a nice apartment and her wife was paid well. Kourtney wanted to pay them back for taking her and Korra in. Kourtney is nineteen and works as an Uber driver. She has long black hair, the same caramel skin complexion as Korra, and she has dark blue eyes.

Korra came out of the bathroom with her dark blue hoodie that she wore to cover up the cuts on her wrist and black skinny jeans. Korra had her hair in a long ponytail. She never wore makeup.

"Are you ready to go to Korra?" Kourtney asked.

"Yeah." She grabbed her backpack and followed Kourtney out to her car. Kya and Lin already left for work.

On the drive to school Kourtney noticed how quiet her sister was, "Are you okay Korra?"

"Yeah, I'm just a little nervous." Korra wasn't telling the whole truth. She would usually be happy with getting out of the apartment but the first day in a new school really made Korra depressed and anxious.

"If you need anything just call or text me. I'm always here for you." Kourtney squeezed Korra's shoulder. "I love you sis."

Korra smiled back and she always felt so safe and comfortable around Kourtney. "I love you too. Thank you for being there for me."

"Anytime." Kourtney smiled. She was definitely the calmer and more collected of the two.

They arrived at the school, "I'll pick you up after school." Kourtney gave Korra a reassuring smile. "Remember, if you need me, call me."

Korra flashed Kourtney her lopsided grin, "I will. Thank you." She waved bye. Korra found her way to the main office to get her schedule. A counselor helped her find her way.

Asami...

It was Friday morning at Republic City high. Students were filling the hallways trying to get to their first period class. Asami, Mako, and Bolin were the most popular kids in school. Asami was on the volleyball team while Mako and Bolin were captains on the football team. They have been in Republic City for their whole lives, they grew up together. Asami was the leader of their little group, Mako and Bolin were her best friends. This was their junior year and somehow they almost had all their classes together except for the first period. Mako and Bolin had all the same classes but Asami was torn away from her group in the first period.

Asami walked into history, her least favorite subject. The teacher was a very nice woman but she just wasn't interested in learning history. Asami took her normal seat in the back of the classroom, she pulled her notebook out of her and plopped it onto her desk. She opened to the first blank page and was already frustrated, her glasses keep sliding down and she had to keep pushing back up, "*Sigh*" Asami knew today would get better so she did her best to not let little things like this bother her.

"Quiet down class." Mrs.Suyin said as she sat at her desk. "Today we will be having a new student join us."

Asami was glad, she wanted to make a new friend, not that anything was wrong with her other friends. Asami had friends with a couple people other than Mako and Bolin.