Chapter 2: Initiation

- Beacon Cliff... -

The students soon arrived on Beacon Cliff, overlooking a forest, where several students — some old, some new, and some unseen — are standing on silver tiles in front of a mug-holding Professor Ozpin and Glynda with her tablet.

"For years, you have trained to become warriors, and today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest." Ozpin said to the students.

"Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of 'teams'. Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates... today." Glynda told the students. (Gareth) is seen hyping himself up with (Morado) beside him on an adjacent tile.

"Readying yourself, aren't we?" (Morado) commented and (Gareth) chuckled.

"Well, yeah. I don't often fight Grimm, so I'm curious if my skills from all the fighting I've done in Solar would apply here." (Gareth) replied and (Morado) nodded.

"These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well."

"Wait, does that mean we can choose our own teammates? I thought it was random." Chro who is nearby said to himself.

"That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years." Ozpin added.

"... Nevermind."

"Is it just me or did I hear something crack?" Millaray questioned as her golden tiger ears twitched.

"It's probably just you." Lavi remarked to the faunus who then shrugged.

"After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die." Ozpin stated, causing Jaune to laugh nervously. "You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Are there any questions? Good! Now, take your positions."

Everyone strikes a pose on their tile. Nora crouches low, Ren wields his weapons, Yang raises her fists, Ruby readies her body, (Gareth) and (Morado) stretched for a moment before crouching, Chro cracks his knuckles, Lavi and Millaray smirk at each other, Wisteria removes her hood from her head and crouches, and Jaune is raising his hand.

"Uh, sir? I've got, um... a question." He said to Ozpin as he misses the tile under Weiss rising up into a springboard, rocketing into the air and over the forest. Chro and Lavi followed. "So, this landing... strategy thing... Uh, wha-what is it? You're, like, dropping us off or something?" He asked.

"No. You will be falling." Ozpin bluntly stated as Millaray is launched, shouting in excitement in the process.

At her turn, Yang winks at her younger sister, puts on a pair of aviators, and flies off with a "Woo-hoooooooo!" a second before Ruby joins her. Wisteria is then launched, followed by (Gareth), (Morado), and Pyrrha.

"So, what exactly is a landing strategYYY!..." He asks just when he finally got hurled with the cloud of students now making their way down into the forest below under the eyes of the teachers.

Ozpin, for his part, simply takes a sip of his drink while a familiar person walked beside him.

"And yet another generation of students plummets down into the Emerald Forest. This takes me back to my old days." The person revealed to be Viridan Lorderius commented.