The Day Spider-Man & Spider-Woman Were Born

Art by Nycolas Pedro

www.artstation.com/artwork/8leY4R
————————————————————————

Peter and I haven't really spoken since that night. The last time we talk was when he returned home and he told me the shooter ended up killing himself. A part of me can't tell if he's disappointed he wasn't the one to do it or not.

Ever since that night Peter's been distance from me. As much as I want to talk to him, I decided it's better I give him his space. His Uncle died and he's got a lot of built up anger that just needs to fizzle out over time.

In the meantime I got to work. Ever since Peter web swing off of the buildings the night, I couldn't stop thinking about it. If Peter's organic webs are strong enough to hold him and swing him around like Tarzan, it's possible for me to do the same.

That's what I'm gonna find out. I stood on top of the Brooklyn bridge, web shooters strap to my wrist. I look over the edge, gulping at the drop below. "Heh... it's not that far down. And if anything goes wrong the water will break my fall.... unless my neck snaps on the way down."

I shook the thought of my head. "I rather jump off a bridge than a building. Enough stalling!" I put on a mask, to hide my face in case anyone sees me. Taking a deep breath, I ran and leap over the railing.

Holding my arm out, I shoot a web that latch onto the upper part of one of the bridge's piers. It saved me from the fall and I started to swing forward. I cheered at the wind hitting me face. I did it! I was actually web swinging...

And then the web snap and I fell into the icy cold water. I washed up at shore, shivering. "O-o-okay. My webs can hold me for-for... 2.3 seconds. I-I gotta ma-make s-some adjustments." I said hugging myself as I waddled my way to the nearest subway to get home and change.

Over the coming days, was fill with studying, training, finals, testing webs, and finally the big day... Graduation. Finally free from the horrors of High School and now at the mercy of student loans.

"There's the most beautiful woman on campus." Harry said, coming up to hug me. "Harry. We're not at college yet." I said, hugging him tightly. "But we will be soon. You know you can always bunk with Peter and I." Harry said, pulling away to look at me. "As tempting as it is, I'll have to decline. I already pick an apartment close to campus."

"Well if your roommate causes you trouble the doors always open. Oh by the way, I got you a graduation gift." Harry pull up his graduation gown, to reach into his pocket and pull out a little ring with a big heart and a tiny heart next to it. "I Harry Osborn promise to remain faithful to you, (Name) (Last Name) and to one day ask for your hand in marriage."

I stare down at the tiny ring, my stomach turning in knots. "Harry, that's beautiful... but..." Harry's smile immediately dropped at the word 'but'. "It's just... don't you think you're rushing things a little?"

"No. (Name), I love you. I haven't felt this way about anyone.... Don't you love me?" I stare up at Harry, wanting to say I did love him. But something was holding me back. "I loved that man and you're the reason he left me." ".....I...."

"You made it." We heard Mr. Osborn say, Harry turn around to face his father, who smiled at him. "It's not the first time I've been proven wrong." Mr. Osborn held up his hand to shake his son's hand. "Congratulations."

"Thanks Dad." Harry said quietly. Mr. Osborn notice me and smile. "There's a familiar face. Harry, is this the girlfriend you've been keeping from me?" He asked. "Dad, you met (Name) a month ago."