Chapter 23

Chapter 23 – Nicholas

“You don’t belong here,” Jasper all but growled at me.

I tried to keep my gaze on the ground as I ignored his obvious attempts to provoke me. I have lived much longer than him and I had heard far worse, I wasn’t going to let this child get inside my head. The only person I had to worry about was Wesley. Even with my vampire hearing I couldn’t hear anything coming from the house and it was starting to freak me out.

“Did you hear me?! You don’t belong here! A vampire doesn’t belong with one of us, you’re not worthy,” he sneered.

I suppressed my urge to laugh at how desperate he seemed for a fight. I wasn’t going to attack him, if I did that I would put Wesley and his future with his pack in jeopardy. I knew how much these people meant to him.

“Forget is Jasper, we don’t have time,” one of the others said to him.

He let out a frustrated grunt and I looked up to peek at him just in time to see him shift into a large grey wolf.

Every nerve in my body was now on edge. I dropped my hands to my side and prepared to run. One bite from his teeth could kill me in a matter of minutes.

Jasper lunged forward way faster than I thought possible but I just managed to jump out of the way. I landed on my hands and knees next to some other large man who kicked me in the side.

I managed to get to my knees clutching my side but this time I was too slow. Jasper had run forward and slammed right into me. I went flying into someone else who pushed me aside like I was something disgusting before punching me in the face and I fell to the ground once again.

I felt my fangs start to come out as I tasted blood in my mouth and I was sure my eyes were bright red, but I wouldn’t fight. I would do more than ruin Wesley’s relationship with his pack if I fought back, I would ruin any chance I had of being accepted here. I was already an outcast in my clan, I couldn’t alienate myself from a whole other species. Worse, if I accidentally killed one of them they would have an excuse to kill me, and at this point I knew that if either one of us died it wouldn’t be long before the other followed. I couldn’t put Wesley through that, I wouldn’t.

I jumped up and got to my feet again but this time I decided to try words. Maybe I could get through to him.

“Jasper please, Wesley’s my mate. I don’t want to hurt you or anyone else,” I begged but I just got a fierce growl in response but he seemed to hesitate.

“Please, I only came here because Wesley asked me to, he needs me and I need him,” I said again more calmly.

It was silent for a second before the small crowd that now made a circle around us started to chime in.

“He’s lying!”

“It’s impossible!”

“Kill him.”

I could feel my heart beat rising with each comment thrown at me and I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t attack and even if I wanted to there were too many. How long could I last if I kept dodging like I was?

My eyes were on Jasper as he started inching towards me, one step at a time. His teeth were visible and ready to take a bite out of me.

I was ready to jump again when I felt two hands grab me from behind. I looked behind me at the man that towered over me. I tried to struggle but his grip wouldn’t budge. Jasper was ready a poised to jump. I turned my head again and bared my fangs trying to make it seem like I was going for his hand on my upper arm. It worked and he let go for a second long enough for me to ram my elbow into his stomach. He hunched over just in time for me to turn to the right and Jasper’s teeth sunk into the man’s leg instead of my shoulder.