Chapter 11

Chapter 11 – Nick

I panicked. I didn’t know what to say, but the fact that he turned me down physically hurt. If I had known when I said goodbye last it was going to be for a year I never would have let him go. I would have kidnapped him and taken him far away so by the time he woke up he would have no choice but to stay with me. He might have hated me, I knew how strongly bonded a wolf pack was supposed to be, but we would have found a way to be happy together.

I felt like I was lost in a cloud of depression. I didn’t want to do anything, nothing felt worth it if Wesley wasn’t here with me. I couldn’t call him or text him and those had been the only way I handled being away from him for long periods of time before. Since we met we hadn’t spent more than 2 weeks apart, but now it was going to be an entire year without any means of communication.

How would I know if he was okay? Would I be able to sense if something bad happened to him? Probably not. Maybe if I had drank from him, from the vein, then I would have been able to establish an emotional connection. Or if we had decided to try mating, he would have left his mark and the same kind of connection would be formed. We didn’t do either of those things though, we thought it was for the best but now I was cursing myself. We should have just mated properly and made our families agree to it, now I had lost him.

The only hope on the horizon was that when he came back we could be together, if only for a short time. I knew it would be no problem convincing Clive to let me go back to school. He valued education above all else and right now I wasn’t very useful to the clan, even if I was my dad’s assistant technically there were many more qualified vampires to do that job. I was training with my dad to take over for him but Clive had made it clear that was still many years away for me.

It would be at least four blissful years. I could buy us our own apartment next to whichever school he wanted to go to, we would spend every second together, every night together.  I wouldn’t have to leave his side for a second if I didn’t want to. I could already see his annoyed face in bed when I would hold him too tight, his nose curling up at the French cuisine I would cook him, it would be amazing.

Thinking about all of this and how much longer I had to wait was going to suffocate me. I had to distract myself somehow, but what could I possibly do that would distract me for a year.

“Nicholas hurry up, we’re going to be late,” I heard my dad from downstairs.

Was it time to go back to work already? I hadn’t even gotten any sleep since last night, I guess I laid awake in bed all day. That means Wesley was long gone by now. My chest tightened at the thought and I turned back over hiding my face in my pillow.

There was a knock at the door and I flinched as my dad opened it letting the light from the hallway flood in.

“You aren’t up yet, come on Nick,” he sounded annoyed but I couldn’t even manage to sit up. I turned over and looked at him squinting.

“I’m sick, I don’t think I can go,” I said just staring at him. I was almost 130 years old I was pouting in my bead telling my dad I was sick…oh well.

“Vampires don’t get sick,” he told me but I could tell he was slightly concerned.

“Well I am sick,” I muttered before turning back over and hiding my face. There was no way I was going to that warehouse and going through the motions in this emotional state, I felt like I was going to break down at any second.

“Okay,” I heard my dad sigh before he turned around and closed the door. I listened as he walked down the stairs and grabbed his keys and walked out the front door. When I heard the car drive away I relaxed a little, I still couldn’t sleep but I found myself drifting off into a place I didn’t have to think much. Maybe I could stay here until I could see my Wesley again.