XII

The room was empty when the two soaking wet individuals entered it. The first held the confidence of someone walking into their own bedroom, while the second looked around cautiously before entering the room.

"Really, Eddie. I don't think this is appropriate." Marc began as he glanced at the shockingly organized room. Eddie shrugged and searched his drawers for two dry shirts. He didn't understand why Marc seemed so wary of everything. Shouldn't he be the cautious one?

"You've been hurt before?" Eddie asked absently, throwing the shirts on the bed.

"Uh-what?" The professor froze, staring at Eddie who didn't appear to be about to give him an answer. He just raised an eyebrow at him. "I mean who hasn't been hurt before, but I would be lying to you if I said I understood what exactly you mean by your question."

"You just seem very cautious." Eddie nonchalantly grabbed the edges of his shirt and pulled it over his head, revealing his lean slightly tanned torso. "Like someone has lied to you before... deceived you?"

"Eddie-" Marc started, his eyes glossing over his soft features and perfect skin and his words faltering. As Eddie pulled the new shirt over his head and smoothed it down, he reached for the second shirt, offering it to Marc.

"You'll catch a cold sitting in wet clothes. One of the only things my mom ever told me that wasn't a lie. I've been deceived before too. Trusted the wrong people. Isn't that a common theme in crimes involving murder? If the mouse trusts the snake, it's gonna get bit, swallowed whole."

"Are you insinuating that I'm trusting the wrong person?" The lilt in his voice held a certain amusement as Eddie sat on the edge of his bed, he thought for a moment before completely dodging the question all together.

"Are you insinuating that I'm a snake?" Eddie had a strange feeling about his teacher, something was off. He knows something, doesn't he? Why was he so interested in what I had to say during class?

"Maybe... or are you the mouse?" Marc studied Eddies soft and sweet features, he did look more like a mouse than a snake.

"Trusting the right person," he continued, "now that's more complicated."

"How do you know they're the right person?" Marc finally took off his shirt, revealing his pale toned body. "Is this about you or me?"

"So how do you know?" Eddie met Marcs eyes as he pulled the shirt over his head, it was a bit tight against his torso and clung to every line and contour of his body. "The wrong one makes it too easy." A pang of silence passed before his next words, "Until they slip up."

Marc opened his mouth to reply, but the door swung open before he could get anything out. Elio entered first in the middle of a laugh, but quickly cut off when he saw Marc and Eddie alone in the room. Connor came next, followed lastly by Richie.

"Oh, hello." Elio eyed Eddie curiously. "Whose your friend?"

"Yeah, who are you?" Richie asked, his eyes narrowing as he recognized Eddies shirt on the man. Connor stared a moment longer before quickly shutting the door.

"Professor Marc." Connor met Marcs eyes and watched how quickly he adverted his gaze, guilt swimming beneath the rim of his glasses.

"Yeah, sorry." Eddie began before things escalated. "He actually saved my life. I was almost struck by lightning, but Marc was fast. It was pouring down rain and we were both soaking wet. It's not safe to drive when the lightning is so close. So I invited him up to borrow a dry shirt." Richie accepted this answer quickly and plopped down next to Eddie, putting a protective arm around him. I wasn't there again.

"How very generous of you, Spaghetti." Richie kissed his cheek and then looked up to the teacher with skepticism. "So, what do you teach?"

"Uh, criminology and psychology." Marc said and then continued. "I also teach a chemistry and physics class as well."

"Right, well I'm Richie. That's Connor, that's Elio. And we all thank you for saving Eddie from becoming Barbecued spaghetti." Richie joked, although his tone lacked the playful luster,  and gained a few chuckles. A look of realization dawned on Marcs features before he quickly replaced it with friendly smile. Not unnoticed by Eddie as he narrowed his gaze. Until they slip up.

The wrong one makes it too easy.