XVI

Julianne. Eddie thought about this name as Danny dabbed his busted lip with a wet cotton ball. That name made Kade shut up so quickly. What did it mean?

"Seriously, what are we going to tell Richie?" Danny asked. Eddie sighed, staring down at his feet, swinging back and forth as he sat on the kitchen counter, like a little boy who fell off his bike. "I'm not scared of much, Eddie. But when I say I'm scared of what he'll do when he finds out, I'm not lying." He paused briefly before adding, "I'm not trying to die."

"Funny that you have to try." Eddie muttered as he picked at a thread on his pants. Danny's blue eyes squinted at this.

"What do you mean by that?" He asked, throwing the bloodied cotton balls away. The silence that followed gave Danny all the answer he needed. "Either you need to tell Richie the truth... or we need to come up with a lie."

"What would I even say to him..." Eddie hopped off the counter and wandered in to the bathroom to examine his face. His lip was swollen and busted and light bruises could be seen around his neck where Kade had placed his hand. "If I don't come clean about it... he'll never let me out of his sight again."

"And if you do?" Danny asked, appearing behind him in the mirror, his gaze falling to bloodstains covering the back of Eddies shirt.

"Honestly who knows, he would probably-" Eddies voice trailed off as Danny's warm fingers graced his Lower back and trailed up, bringing the shirt up with them, leaving goosebumps in their tracks. "Uh, I-I don't know what he'd do..." Eddie attempted to continue, closing his eyes to focus.

"What happened here?" Danny whispered as he pulled Eddie back against him, his right hand trailing up to his throat and gently holding his neck while his left arm draped across his waist, hugging him intimately. The room fell silent, the only noise being Eddies breath, heavy and wistful. Danny looked at Eddies reflection in the mirror, his eyes were still closed, his muscles tense as they awaited. The rose of his cheeks deepened in color. "You okay, Teddy?"

The question was rhetorical, of course it was. He felt like prey. His Bambi eyes opened to reveal the scene in the mirror, the way his body seemed to crumble into Danny's hands. This was different. It felt more mischievous. Danny. The lit match. The danger. This was it, what he craved, the peril. Was the danger from the things Danny did or Danny himself? He radiated mischief. "I-it's E-"

"Eddie." Danny said sternly, drawing his lips shut with the hand around his throat harmlessly tightening. "Are you afraid right now?"

He wanted to say no. He wanted so bad to believe he wasn't afraid. But that simply wasn't true. Even though Danny's tone held no malice, his touch, no venom. The look in his big brown eyes gave it away. Danny leaned down and kissed his shoulder.

"It's okay to be afraid, Eddie." His fingers trailed from his neck to his chin, tilting his head to the side and up to look at him. "All you need to do... is tell me... to stop." He muttered and nuzzled against Eddies ear, kissing behind the lobe and trailing down his neck. Eddie pulled away, but Danny's hands gripped him tighter. "Just tell me to stop, Eddie." Danny repeated, grabbing Eddies wrist and spinning him around, pressing him against the bathroom sink and clasping their hands together. His dark blue eyes met Eddies doe brown ones with authority, before he returned to showering his neck with kisses.

Eddie heard a deep thumping noise deafen his ears, it shook him to the core with each bump. Why are you doing this Danny? Eddie pulled his hands away and placed them on his chest, pushing backwards meekly. Suddenly, Eddies feet were dangling as Danny lifted him on the bathroom sink. He's trying to teach me a lesson. The thought occurred to him, but it was a lesson he wasn't sure he was ready for.