XVII

"He's what?" Richie asked as his gaze darted to Danny.

"I asked him too, Richie. I want to learn. I'm tired of being a victim all the time." Eddie explained and then added softer, "I'm tired of being afraid."

"But... like this? Eddie look at you. Your lip is all busted and you have marks on your throat. This isn't the way this should be happening." Richie tried to make him understand. Eddie shook his head and gestured to Danny.

"No, you don't understand. This wasn't Danny's fault. This was Kade. But it's okay because I wanted them to give it their all. I want to really learn." Eddies voice sounded desperate now, he wanted to show Richie that this was what he needed, what he wanted to do. He couldn't keep living in the shadow of his fears.

"Eddie... you dont-"

"Don't what, Rich?" Eddie interrupted, losing his patience. "Don't need to learn to defend myself? Why? Because you'll protect me?" Eddie scoffed and then blurted. "Because that's been going great, hasn't it?"

Richie flinched at this, his heart shattering as he looked at Eddie. "You're right..." He said quietly. Eddie softened at this and cursed himself silently.

"Rich... that not what I meant. I-"

"No... it's okay. You're right, Eddie." Richie stood and faced away from him, angry with himself. "I'm gonna step out side." He said calmly and left through the back door. Connor glanced after him shifting from foot to foot.

"I should go check on him." He muttered, but Eddie raised a brow at him.

"Is that really the best idea, Connor?" Eddie asked. Connor paused and then sighed, leaning against the wall instead. Danny just stared at Eddie, something stirring inside of him. He felt angry. At himself, at whoever had caused this level of trauma to blossom in Eddie.

"I'll go check on him." Danny volunteered and then left to the backyard before Eddie could protest. Richie was sitting on the steps and staring out at the groves of trees lining the outer edge of the backyard. "Rich."

"Don't." Richie said immediately. "Don't speak. Because I might just kill you." Danny hesitated, but walked closer to him, taking a seat on the step above him. His fingers found a pack of cigarettes in his pants pocket and brought it out, offering one to Richie. Richie accepted and harshly took one from the pack, tossing it back to Danny.

"I believe you would." Danny said humorlessly. "It's not like that though, Richie." Richie bit his tongue and forced himself to listen to him. "Eddie, asked me to teach him how to defend himself. Said he was tired of being defenseless. It wasn't because he felt you couldn't do it. But that you shouldn't have to do it." He paused, "he wants to be stronger... but he's already the strongest person I've met."

"So why is he all beat up?" Richie spoke after a moment. Danny closed his eyes in guilt and sighed.

"It's my fault." Danny claimed clearly, sighing through his nose. "He begged me to make it real for him so I had Kade provoke him, to see if he was ready. He didn't fight back at first... but Kade went too far." He paused, watching Richie tense. "I didn't step in soon enough. I should've stepped in the first time he hit him."

"You shouldn't have done any of it." Richie spat. Danny frowned and put a gentle hand on Richies shoulder.

"You can't be there to protect him all the time, Rich." His tone was soft and Richie glared at him. He was right. "Wouldn't you rather he knew how to protect himself if you weren't able to be there?"

"Of course..." Richie glanced over his shoulder towards a window where he could see Eddie sipping a glass of water, his hands still clearly shaking while Elio and Connor asked him question after question. "But not like this." Richie looked into Danny's dark blue eyes, "not when he gets hurt like that." Danny nodded in solidarity.