Chapter Two: Bright Guardians

Felix shot up into a sitting position and stared at the man standing over him. "Who the hell are you? How did you get in my house?"

"You left the front door open," the man said blankly. He looked younger than Felix had initially thought. Mid-twenties, maybe? It was hard to be sure, thanks to the black mask pulled up from around his neck to cover the bottom half of his face. The only feature offering any hint of his expression were his honey brown eyes. His jet-black hair was just long enough to be held back in a ponytail, save for the short pieces hanging around his light face.

He wasn't alone. The woman next to him gently elbowed him in the side. "Maybe I should talk to him, Archer." She and the man were dressed in similar outfits that Felix guessed were a uniform. Black boots, black pants, black jackets. The man wore a deep red shirt under his jacket, while the woman's shirt was a bright yellow, a sharp contrast to her dark brown skin and coils of black hair.

Archer shot her a sideways glance. "What makes you say that?"

The woman didn't answer. She cleared her throat and flashed Felix a sad smile. "Are you Felix Carver?"

"How do you know my name?" Felix asked.

"We're from the Bright Guardians." When Felix's only response was an empty stare, she frowned. "You haven't heard of us, have you?"

"Your family didn't tell you anything about the Guardians?" Archer asked. "Our records said you didn't have a magical ability, but we assumed you at least knew about us."

"No idea what that is." Felix's heart was going to explode. "I'm sorry, I have no idea what's happening. Do you know my family? Or where the rest of them are?"

The woman lifted her gaze. "Did you not see...?"

"Kendra," Archer said. "He's radiating magical energy. We need to get him out of here."

"Yeah, I know, I can feel it," Kendra replied. "What about Gideon's body?"

"Even if some part of his soul is sticking around, he won't be able to leave the house on his own. Let's get Felix outside, and I'll come back and kill whatever's left of him."

Kendra straightened up. "My ability would be better for tracking his ghost."

"Fine," Archer said. "I'll babysit the kid. But we need to take a look at the bodies, too. Before the police get here." He shot Felix a look that was somewhere between concerned and annoyed. "You haven't called anyone yet, have you?"

Felix shook his head. A ringing started in his ears. "Hey, uh, I think I might need to go to the hospital or something."

Kendra looked worried, but Archer seemed unconcerned as he folded his arms. Black leather gloves hid his hands. "He's in shock, I'm sure," he said.

"I don't think it's shock," Kendra said. "Something happened to him."

"Then we'll deal with it back at the castle. It's not our area of expertise."

Castle? As far as Felix knew, there weren't any castles in the United States, let alone here in Washington state.

A crash came from the next room. Archer and Kendra whirled around. Archer had a dagger in his hand now, and Felix marveled at how quickly he'd drawn the weapon.

Ezra stumbled into the room, clutching a potted plant of all things. "Relax, it's just my brother," Felix said as he stood up.

Archer and Kendra exchanged glances. Kendra's dark eyes widened with concern.

Ezra was the first person to look genuinely upset. In fact, he looked like he'd been crying. "Felix, I'm so sorry."

Kendra spoke as if Ezra hadn't said anything at all. "Felix, your brother's...dead."