Chapter Three: A Pocket Dimension Full of Sunshine

Felix found himself in the backseat of a surprisingly plain black car. He wasn't sure what he expected magicians to drive, but as he buckled his seat belt, he supposed it made sense for them to blend in.

Kendra drove while Archer brooded in the passenger seat. His black mask covered his face again, and he still wore his gloves as he inspected his blades.

Felix cleared his throat. "So, how far to this castle?"

"Drive's about an hour," Archer said.

"Maybe we could explain what's happening to him," Kendra suggested.

Felix yawned. Archer threw a glance back at him. "Assuming he doesn't pass out, you're welcome to explain whatever you'd like."

"No, no, I want to know what's happening." Even as the words left Felix's mouth, he realized it was pointless. He'd been fighting to keep his eyes open since the moment he sat down. He leaned against the car window and tried to focus on the passing greenery.

The next thing he knew, he was blinking sleep out of his eyes as they pulled off a freeway exit. He recognized the area, and he was still pretty sure there were no castles nearby. Kendra took a sharp turn off the road into the trees, making Felix's heart rate spike.

Except they were still driving on pavement. The new road hadn't been visible until they were on it.

The trees formed a tunnel overhead. The evening light shifted from the cloudy gray they'd been driving under to a brighter sunset. Felix pressed his hands against the window as they emerged from the tunnel. The road twisted and turned over rolling green hills, leading up to a towering castle of white stone and pale blue roofs. Forest surrounded the property on all sides.

"Whoa," Felix breathed.

A small smile touched Kendra's lips in the rear-view mirror. "Welcome to Bright Castle."

The car rolled to a stop in a small lot shaded by a variety of fruit trees. From there, it was a short walk up a grassy hill to the entrance of the castle.

"Where are we?" Felix asked as he climbed out of the car. "Geographically, I mean."

"Pocket dimension." Archer closed his door. Not much of an explanation, but the man didn't seem interested in elaborating.

Felix took it all in as they walked to the castle's massive front doors, the same shade of blue as the tower roofs. Hawks circled in the sky far above. Patches of trees were scattered across the hills, and Felix caught a glimpse of a pond in the distance before they stepped inside.

"Let's get him to the throne room before people start asking questions," Archer said.

Felix adjusted his backpack. "Is it okay that I'm just carrying this sword?" Even with the blade in its scabbard, he was concerned that someone might freak out.

"Don't worry, no one will think much of it," Kendra assured him.

The three walked down several long halls, all with shiny white floors, blue and gray wallpaper, and silver detailing. They passed the occasional portrait on the wall, some of which depicted people wielding elements or standing next to animals. Many wore more old-fashioned clothing, while others appeared modern. Some people in the paintings wore the same uniforms as Kendra and Archer.

They passed a few real people, too, wearing either the same uniform or formal suits. A few looked at Felix with interest, but averted their gaze when Archer shot them a glare.

Felix, Archer, and Kendra finally came to a stop next to a set of dark blue double doors. A woman stood on one side, and a man on the other. They both wore entirely black suits, except for their silver dress shirts.