Chapter Fifteen: The Living Curse

Mason refused to pick out a uniform, and Sebastian didn't care enough to force him. So, while Felix and Arisa prepared to train in their uniforms, Mason sat on the training yard dirt in dark jeans and his red sweatshirt. He'd hidden his horns under a purple beanie. Felix wondered how many hats the guy owned.

While Felix stretched his arms and Arisa cracked her knuckles, Mason picked up a rock off the ground and turned it over in his hand. "Give me one reason I shouldn't just leave and steal back the wand on my own."

"First, you'd never succeed on your own," Sebastian said, holding up a finger. A second went up. "Two, you've been living on the run for a while. We're feeding and housing you for free."

"I was doing just fine," Mason muttered.

"Listen, I'm doing everything I can. None of us want Ernest walking around with that wand any more than you do," Sebastian told Mason. "If he really did steal it and kill your parents, the Bright Guardians aren't obligated to protect him, and we can take action. But the king would need to see proof, first."

Mason looked up at Felix. "Can't Felix use his power to prove Ernest stole the wand?"

"I'd have to get my hands on it, first," Felix replied.

"And Ernest isn't going to just admit to having it," Sebastian said. "I searched for it when I was at his house last night, but I didn't see any signs of it, or even sense its energy. He's hidden it well."

"Then what are we supposed to do now?" Mason asked.

"Nothing, yet. Ernest is throwing a bigger party in a few weeks to celebrate his cousin's birthday."

"Eliza's birthday?" Felix asked.

Sebastian shook his head. "Different cousin. Also on the council. He was one of the other guys who thought you should be locked up."

Felix sighed. "Of course he was."

"Sounds like Ernest has a lot of powerful family members," Arisa said.

"Yep." Sebastian's voice was surprisingly chipper. "But that's not something we should worry about. If we have solid evidence against Ernest, they won't be able to defend him without turning the rest of the council against them." He waved a hand as he continued. "Anyway, Ernest is throwing a birthday party, and plenty of Guardians will be there. That means it will be easier for me to sneak around and figure out what the deal with the wand is."

"You should bring us," Mason said.

"Sorry. Students don't get invited to these things," Sebastian said. "Especially students on probation."

"I'm not a student!"

"According to the council, you are. Speaking of which, we should get started." Sebastian clapped his hands a couple of times. "Felix, let's start working with your fire today."

"Fire?" Felix repeated. He'd finally become comfortable enough with electricity to not feel a complete failure when he trained. He didn't like the idea of going back to screwing up every attempt at hitting a target.

Sebastian nodded. "I was originally going to take today to have you practice psychometry, but you're farther along with that than I expected," he said. "That's actually what I wanted you to try back at the grocery store. I was going to have you see if you could find the memory of the demon fight. But we'll save that for another time." He pointed a finger at the dirt and created a glowing rectangle. "Ready, Arisa?"

Arisa snapped her fingers. "Clementine, come on out."

Clementine climbed out of Arisa's open backpack. Mason was upright in a heartbeat, jumping back several feet. His claws burst from the tips of his fingers. "What the hell is that?"