Chapter Twenty: Blood Moon

A few hours later, a wolf howl cut through the night air. The group of four came to a halt in the middle of the dark forest. Their gazes darted around the shadows.

"They're definitely nearby," Sebastian said. "I can feel them, but—" He frowned as a second howl sounded, this one more distant. "Why go that way?" he murmured.

"Should we follow?" Arisa asked.

"I'm going to take a look real quick. You three get back-to-back," Sebastian ordered. "Weapons up. I'll be right back."

Felix's heart pounded an unsteady rhythm in his chest as the minutes passed. He tried to keep his breathing even. Tried not to imagine teeth tearing into his skin. He whirled around when a rustling came from the undergrowth behind him, opposite from the direction Sebastian had gone.

Wolf eyes glinted in the darkness.

"Run!"

Felix wasn't sure who said it. All he knew was that a heartbeat later, his feet were pounding against the ground and his lungs were struggling for air.

"Why aren't we fighting?" Arisa asked between breaths.

"I'm sensing ten wolves," Mason said. "We need to find Sebastian—"

They stumbled into a clearing.

"Get to cover!" Mason shouted, but it was too late. Wolves emerged from the trees on all sides. Fifteen of them. They formed a loose circle around Felix and the others.

A voice spoke from the shadows. "So, these are the three lost causes Sebastian has decided to train."

Felix whirled around as the man behind the voice stepped into the light of the full moon. He was old. Sixties, probably. His gray hair and beard were a few shades darker than the pale shirt under his suit jacket. He studied the three through a pair of glasses with gold frames.

"It's him!" Mason lunged forward. Two wolves sprang on him. Mason jumped out of the path of the first, only to get slammed into the ground by the second.

"Mason!" Felix and Arisa shouted at the same time.

The wolf pressed its paw to Mason's chest, keeping him pinned to the ground. The man's expression was emotionless as he watched. "It's him," Mason gasped again. "Ernest Abernathy." He grimaced in pain.

"You idiot!" Arisa hissed to Ernest. "We'll tell the council about this, and you'll be put on trial."

Ernest flashed her a smile. "I'm from a prominent Bright Guardian family. I have two cousins on the council, and I've led countless successful missions. Atticus Brightland won't throw me in a cell. And he certainly won't side with three kids on probation over me. The Guardians would riot." He looked to the wolves. "Besides, you're going to die here."

"Wait!" Mason exclaimed.

Ernest lifted an eyebrow. The wolf lifted its paw but didn't back away from Mason as he sat up.

"What do you want with a witch's wand?" Mason asked. "You're a magician."

"Oh, this?" Ernest reached into suit jacket and drew out a wand that was over a foot in length. Black lines swirled through the red wood.

Mason exposed sharp fangs with a low snarl. "What are you planning?"

"You must be incredibly naive if you think I would explain my plans to you."

Felix raised his hands and reached for his lightning. Before he could unleash it, Ernest pointed the wand at him. An invisible force paralyzed him. Arisa froze next to him.