Chapter Nine: Haunted Funeral

They got lucky with the weather. Saturday morning was the only sunny one in Felix's hometown this week, surrounded by a string of rainy days on either side.

Even knowing that his family was just a thought away, the fact that Felix was at their funeral was harder to face than he'd expected. The multitude of neighbors and family friends offering condolences only made him feel worse. Kendra gave him a small, reassuring smile whenever he glanced at her, but she couldn't entirely hide the concern in her gaze.

Felix had chosen to wear one of the suits from his room to the funeral, but as he looked around the cemetery, he recognized a few Bright Guardians in their formal attire. How many Guardians had his family been friends with? Some of them looked familiar, but he couldn't name a single one.

Do you recognize any of these people? He sent the thought off to his family, wondering if anyone would respond. Hoping someone would respond.

To Felix's relief, Helena entered his mind. Only a couple.

Where are Mom and Dad? Felix asked.

Talking. After a moment's hesitation, Helena added, I think there's some stuff they're not telling the rest of us.

Do you think you could stick around for a while? Felix asked.

I'll do my best, Helena promised. It takes a lot of energy to come up here. We still get tired.

Felix wanted to ask what it was like being bound to his soul, but Kendra spoke before he got the chance. "Felix," she said. "Is that one of your friends?"

Felix turned as Jace approached them. "Jace," he greeted, flooded with relief at the sight of a familiar face. "Sorry I didn't get back to you, I had a busy day yesterday—"

"Hey, man, I completely understand," Jace said. "I'm so sorry. I just can't believe—" He trailed off and shook his head.

Felix wished he could explain to Jace that his family was still with him. Maybe one day he'd be able to.

Jace rested a hand on Felix's shoulder. "Just let me know if there's any way I can help you, okay?"

"Sure," Felix said, even though there was no way Jace could even begin to understand what he needed. "Well, one of these days, it'd be nice just to play tennis with the team again." He looked at Kendra.

"That should be doable," Kendra said. "Maybe on one of your days off."

"Who's this?" Jace asked, throwing Kendra a confused glance.

"She's one of the, uh, teachers at my new school," Felix said.

Jace frowned. "So, you're not coming back to Maple Point?"

"No. It's...complicated," Felix said.

Felix did his best to explain his new life at Bright Academy without revealing that he was actually training to use magic. He only had a few minutes to catch up with Jace before Kendra gently interrupted to let them know it was time to sit down.

To Felix's relief, Helena's presence stuck with him for most of the ordeal. May and Ezra chimed in on occasion, too. May had a surprising amount of snark for her own funeral, mostly directed at the decor. Ezra balanced out her comments with compliments for the speakers, which included a couple of their neighbors, along with a Guardian named Michael Beck who had apparently been close to their parents.

Wait, I recognize him, Felix realized. He's on the King's Council! Michael was one of the council members who had vouched for him in the debate.