Chapter Twenty-Two: Employee of the Month

They stuck around in Cold Creek for the last night of the full moon so that Sebastian could make sure no remaining wolves killed anyone. He told the three the next morning that the night had been completely quiet.

Felix was grateful to hear that. But it didn't change the fact that he'd spent the night reliving the same nightmarish scenario over and over: one by one, the Supermoon Wolves killed everyone in Cold Creek, and he was powerless to stop them.

Sebastian also told the three not to tell another soul about the spies in the Brightlands. "We don't need anyone thinking we're onto them," he'd said. "It will only make them harder to identify."

By the time they'd returned to the Brightlands Monday afternoon, Sebastian was back to his usual cheery self. "You know what makes field trips better than missions?" he asked as they climbed the hill to the castle. "You three don't have to fill out mission reports."

"We also don't get credit for killing all those wolves," Arisa complained.

Getting credit for that nightmare was the last thing on Felix's mind. "All I care about right now is sleeping."

Mason split off from the group. He caught up to them at the entrance, brushing dirt off the wand he'd buried somewhere on castle property.

"Does it work?" Sebastian asked.

Mason lifted the wand. "Light," he said. A small orb of purple light appeared at the tip. A smile touched his lips.

"You just say words in English and it responds?" Felix asked. "I was expecting, I dunno, Latin?"

"For basic spells, it's not about the language, it's about intent," Mason replied. "Technically, you don't need to say anything at all, but verbal cues are helpful when adjusting to a new wand." Gaze darkening, he added, "Ernest seems to have gotten the hang of it. I didn't see his mouth move when he used the Ironwood Wand."

Sebastian gave them the next two days off of training in exchange for taking their weekend. Felix spent most of the first day in bed healing up from the fight. The morning after, Mason texted him and Arisa and asked them to meet in the library. And to bring their weapons. Now that his wand was ready, he could add extra sigils to their blades.

Felix found the way Mason carved sigils into the metal impressive, but Mason kept muttering about how slow his progress was.

"This spy stuff is all the more reason to break into Ernest's house as soon as possible," Mason said quietly as he looked over the work he'd done on Helena's sword. "On top of stealing back the wand he's using to hurt Guardians, we might be able to find out who else in this castle is reporting the Last Army. Especially with Felix's psychometry."

"But how are we supposed to keep him from knowing we're in his house?" Felix asked.

"I know I can figure out the masking spell." Mason glanced at the stack of books next to him. "I'll need a few things, though."

"Okay, hold on," Arisa said. "I'm all for this—"

"You are?" Felix asked.

"Yes. But we still don't know where he lives."

"No, but Sebastian and the other Guardians do." Mason stared off into the distance. "There has to be some way to get that information."

Felix glanced at Arisa. "Okay, Mason wants revenge on the guy who killed his parents. And Ernest is working with the people responsible for my family's deaths, too," he said. "I'm willing to risk going after him. But, Arisa, are you sure you want to do this? You have the least to gain." And the most to lose.