Chapter Thirteen: Reluctant Agreement

Felix's head was still spinning. By the time he found the words to answer Archer's question, Arisa was already speaking.

"Uh, Sebastian got a message and had to check something out nearby," Arisa told Archer. "He didn't tell us to come here, we just wanted to see the building."

"And you thought coming inside was a good idea?" Archer asked. His stone-cold expression was far more terrifying than anger would have been.

"Well, no, not at first," Arisa stammered. "But then we met Mason."

Archer was quiet for a long moment. Then, he pointed to a spot in the middle of the room. "Stand right there, demon."

Mason folded his arms. "Why?"

"Because if you don't, I'll have no choice but to kill you."

"Fine," Mason hissed as he walked to where Archer was pointing. His tail swung behind him.

Archer dropped to one knee a few feet from Mason and began painting sigils on the floor with the green—blood? Poison? Both?—staining his palm and fingers. "This is to keep you from running while I fetch my colleague."

"Wait, Archer, how did you know we were in here?" Felix asked. He was certainly grateful Archer had arrived to save them, but it was a miracle the man had shown up at all.

"I was supervising your field trip," Archer answered.

"You were following us the whole time?"

"Yes."

Arisa folded her arms. "Did Sebastian know?"

"Undoubtedly. I wasn't sure if he would call me out." Archer drew one last sigil and rose to his full height. "He didn't. Which makes me think he wanted me to keep an eye on you while he was away."

Archer walked to where his glove lay on the floor, picked it up, and slid it back on over his bleeding hand. Seeing Felix's concerned expression, he said, "The gloves have healing sigils. Now, are you two capable of staying put while I call Sebastian and make sure this building's completely clear of demons?"

"Is that a rhetorical question?" Arisa asked. Archer stared at her blankly until she sighed. "Yeah, we'll stay here."

Once Archer's footsteps had faded into the distance, Felix sank to the floor and leaned back against the wall. "I can't tell how pissed he is," he said. "He always looks like he wants to murder someone."

"Oh, so this is normal?" Mason asked.

Arisa cleared her throat. "Felix, we have a slight problem."

Felix looked at her. "What?"

"If your sister was able to take your body from you, then that means Gideon probably can too." Arisa's expression hardened. "And he's a lot stronger than anyone in your family."

Felix's blood ran cold. He hadn't even considered that. Sure, he hadn't heard anything from Gideon since taking him in, but if Felix accidentally awakened him...

"Do you think we should keep it a secret?" Felix asked.

"I mean, the council will freak out if you tell them," Arisa said. "And it's not like that's going to help you any."

Felix rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't know. If there's a chance Gideon could possess me, maybe I should be locked up."

Mason folded his arms. "If that's grounds enough to lock you up, then I'm definitely screwed."

"All we have to do is prove you're not a threat, and the council will have to let you go," Arisa said. She looked to Felix. "Right?"

"Have you ever actually been in a council meeting?" Felix asked her.