Chapter Six: And to Your Left, You'll See a Poltergeist

Arisa's voice cut through the darkness. "I don't suppose any of your abilities could help with this."

Felix looked around the hall, but it was no use. The world was black. "I still don't know what all of my family's powers are. Or how to use them. But maybe I can ask Helena." He closed his eyes and tried calling out to her. "Helena, can you hear me?"

Helena's voice answered in his mind. Is something wrong?

Felix breathed a small sigh of relief. "Yeah, there's a poltergeist around here somewhere. Does anyone happen to have any magical light powers?"

No, but Mom has fire, Helena replied. Do you have any metal on you?

Felix's hand moved to the chain around his neck. "I'm wearing Mom's ring."

Perfect. I can't help you with that, though. Try calling out to her.

"But I still don't know how I got your power to work!"

Well, you'll have to try. You don't need to talk out loud when I'm in here by the way, Helena told him.

Felix frowned. Can you hear this?

Yes.

A crash came from Felix's right. Whatever caused it couldn't have been more than twenty feet away.

"Felix?" Arisa asked. "You got anything?" She sounded calmer than Felix felt, but he thought he detected a slight tremble to her voice.

"Hang on." As the word's left Felix's mouth, he felt Helena's presence leave him. He turned his thoughts to his mom, recalling the sound of her voice and the way her mouth turned when she was concerned. Mom, can you hear me?

Nothing.

And then, a new presence.

Felix?

Within seconds, Felix had tears in his eyes. With the lump in his throat, he was grateful Helena had explained he didn't need to speak to communicate. Mom!

Felix! What's going on? Mom's voice asked, her tone frantic. Why are you in the dark?

Poltergeist took out the lights, Felix explained. Helena said you might be able to help.

Hold out your hand.

Felix obliged, struggling to stop the hand from shaking. He felt the pull of something deep within. The moment he let it take over, vibrant blue fire sparked to life in his palm.

At the edge of the light, Arisa's head snapped toward him. "Whoa," she breathed. She lifted her gaze to meet Felix's. "Can you make it a little bigger?"

Add more fire slowly, Mom instructed. Be careful.

Felix concentrated on the sensation of warmth in his hand and pushed it further. The circle of blue light around them expanded to the walls.

What happened? Mom asked. Your dad and I were talking and then you walked in and grabbed us. Where did he go?

Another painting fell from the wall. Instead of dropping the ground, this one shot through the air at Felix and Arisa. They darted in different directions to avoid it. "Uh, I'll have to explain later," Felix choked out. "Or maybe Helena can tell you."

"Keep that light up," Arisa said. "I'll handle the poltergeist."

"What?"

"Trust me." Arisa reached into the pockets of her jeans and pulled out several pieces of paper, all marked with sigils. They folded themselves into cranes in her hands and took to the air. "Clementine, watch my back."