CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"I don't know where he's even taking me

"I don't know where he's even taking me." Alex sighed as Harper laughed trying to help her friend pick out the perfect outfit for her date with Paul. When Paul dropped her off he made sure to give her a kiss goodbye that Mason just had to walk out and see. He cleared his throat obnoxiously loud making Paul pull away but also growl lowly in annoyance. Alex just gave Paul a sad 'sorry we can continue later' look before leaving with Mason following her inside. He asked her all about what happened after he had left, he wasn't pushy just curious. So now as Harper helped Alex she felt a bit glum as Mason had unintentionally made her feel guilty for moving on. "I want to know why my best friend looks upset when her amazing boyfriend wants to go on a date? Is it because of Mason?" Harper guessed right away making Alex sigh and throw a shirt off as it wasn't good enough.

"I just- he's taking this all so well- I just..... I don't know I guess I feel bad for moving on. He held out hope for us and now.... " Alex trailed off with another sigh deciding to wear a colorful tank top with ruffles with black skinny jeans and knee high boots. "Alex you had every right to move on. Mason can't be mad at you for it either... for all you knew he was never coming back. And Paul.... He treats you great. If anything Mason should be happy for you, for being able to be happy again." Harper explained softly as Alex shook her head.

"I know your right I just can't help but feel bad." Alex huffed lying on her bed dramatically as Harper soon followed laying beside her. "Wow who knew the day would come where you actually openly admit that- you used to hide that sort of stuff. That's why I like Paul for you..... your both changing for the better...... you don't still have feelings for Mason do you?" Harper asked a bit worried as her friend laughed humorlessly. "No. Being with Paul I realized yes I loved Mason but- as a friend if anything. We went on dates and kissed but I could never see us going further then some innocent kisses like that. But Paul..... god I want everything with him." Alex said dreamily looking up at the ceiling smiling as Harper began to match her smile. "Awwwweeee I love you being in love." Harper squealed as Alex covered her face with her hands in embarrassment.

"WAIT YOU DIDN'T DENY IT!" Harper exasperated making Alex smile at her shyly. "We've already said it too each other. Plus- I do love him." She explained with a happy smile making Harper once again awe before getting serious. "We'll back to business. We need to get your hair and makeup ready." Harper smiled grabbing different things as Alex huffed. Harper practically caked her face making her want to wipe it off but one look from Harper stopped her in her tracks.

Right as Alex had finished getting ready a timid knock was on her door. She walked over confused since usually her family would walk right in after knocking but this person waited patiently behind the door. As she swung it open Mason looked up at her before going wide eyed blushing and looking down at his feet. "Wow uh- you look good." He mumbled as she nodded but smiled awkwardly. "Did you need something?" She asked making him nod and look her in the eyes very serious. "Look Alex- I'm uh-" he stammered before Harper also came to the door giving him a bit of a death stare. Don't get her wrong she liked Mason she really did but she did not want him ruining her ship. "Oh uh hi Harper." He said awkwardly as if caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be.