Part 9

But Donatello didn't have time when his children were growing thus stretching out his belly. It wasn't too big yet, but he was showing clearly now. His nausea and fatigue were gone completely. It was one thing that he was grateful for. But he would rather have the nausea back; even ten fold if he could continue to put off telling his brothers and sensei. He knew they were already growing suspicious at his ever growing belly and the excuses he gave to get out of the training.

It was later one night that Splinter came into Donatello's lab. He stood there while watching Donatello look through some books. Finally, he spoke up as he leaned on his cane. "Donatello, why haven't you been training with the others?"

Donatello dropped the baby book he had been looking through. "Oh! Sensei, I didn't see you there. Training, well, I-"

"Donatello, you can not fall behind in your training. You must remember that you are ninja, as well as a scientist. To be both, you have to work hard at both." Master Splinter said as he looked around the lab that was filled with all types of robots and machines.

"I know Master Splinter, it's just that..." Donatello stopped, not quite able to tell Master Splinter just yet.

"Donatello, you are starting to lose the fighting edge. No excuses tonight. You will do the patrol with your brothers tonight." Master Splinter narrowed his black eyes at Donatello.

Donatello gulped and nodded. "Yes, Sensei." He said with a small bow of his head.

"Very good." With the parting words, Master Splinter turned and walked out.

"Aw, man. What am I going to do? I've put this off for so long. I told April that I'd tell them on Christmas, but that's only a week away." Donatello dropped his head into his hands.

Xxx

The city's nights had turned bitterly cold, the crystal clear skies brilliant with stars. A light snow had already fallen on the city and the promise of another was heavy in the air, filling it with a crisp scent.

The turtle van stopped outside a rather large church.

"Why did you stop, Donatello?" Leonardo asked.

"Yeah bro, I thought that we were heading to Vinnie's? He's having that Christmas bash, I don't want to miss it." Michelangelo said from behind Leonardo.

"Shh. Listen." Donatello said as he rolled down the window.

Thinking he meant some kind of danger, the turtles shut up and listened. There was a sound, but it wasn't the sound of danger. It was the simple sound of a church choir singing Christmas carols.

Raphael looked out the window, then rolled his eyes. "A church? They're singing carols. What, you hearing the calling?"

Cantankerously, Donatello sighed, "You know any Christmas carols?"

Raphael huffed, "Of course." He began to spout 'Deck the Halls" when Donatello interrupted him.

"How about 'Silent Night?"

Raphael began to sing it when he stopped and glared at Donatello, catching the meaning. "Hey! I'm the wise guy here!"

As the others laughed at Raphael's expense, Donatello found himself gazing at the Natively Scene in the front of the church. Needless to say, none of the turtles were a practicing Catholic by any means... or any other religion for that matter. They knew of the Buddhism that Master Splinter followed, but they never missed out on the celebration. But this year, Christmas was special for him.

His mind swimming with thoughts of his upcoming children, he listened to the choir, listening intently to the hauntingly beautiful strains of 'Carol of the Bells.' The song was by far one of his favorites of the Christmas songs. He watched the choir stand outside, singing to the passersby. They stood in formation, each man dressed in matching top hats and capes, the women in crimson cloaks with hoods. Although it was cold, each member sang joyously, a warm twinkle in each set of eyes.