Ch.14

It was nighttime when Sara and the others made it to the heart of Midgar and stood in front of a colossal skyscraper, the Shinra Building.

The building is seventy stories tall, looming over the city surrounded by endless pipes and roads. The red Shinra logo was engraved at the front of the building; anyone could see the building miles away.

Cloud and Sara looked at the building with stern expressions; simultaneously brought one hand to their weapons as Barret and Tifa joined them.

"Rolled out the welcome wagon."

Barret chuckled as he and the others watched Shinra foot soldiers guarding the front entrance.

"Gotta say," Tifa spoke doubtfully, "I can't help but wonder if this is a lost cause."

She did have a point, coming to the most well-secured place in all of Midgar. Knowing all the risks and consequences, anyone would turn back and say that it's not worth it.

But Barret smirked and said, "Well, ya know, some lost causes are worth fighting for."

If it came to saving a friend, Tifa was willing to do it.

"Let's just think this through," Cloud suggested.

Barret nodded and began to explain his idea, "So, I got an idea. Frontal assault, guns blazing, make for a good story."

Cloud rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Why'd we bring you along again?"

Sara crossed her arms, "If we want to avoid any unnecessary battles, we need to take the entrance where they least expect us. I vote for the back door."

"Back door?" Barret grunted.

Sara nodded, and Cloud explained, "She means the rear entrance. It's one of the few places in the building that's not gonna have a lot of guards. We'll get inside via the parking garage. As Sara said, we need to avoid any fights as much as possible."

"Being too cautious for my taste," Barret grumbled.

They began to walk along metal bridges, and as they did, they continued their conversation.

"Security's looking pretty tight," Tifa said.

Sara agreed that there seemed to be too many soldiers at the front entrance. There were a lot of military vehicles along with armored machinery. Why would there be a lot of soldiers at the front?

"Ha! So they know what they're up against." Barret grinned.

Cloud frowned, "Somehow, I don't think it's all for us."

"I'm with Cloud," Sara nodded, "I think that they are getting ready for something else. It could be for Avalanche or Wutai even."

"Can't be for Wutai. What about the cease-fire?" Barret asked.

"That only put the war on pause," Cloud replied.

"Either way," Barret scoffs, "I'm gonna put the fear of Avalanche in 'em! Their days of sittin' smug in this glass tower are over!"

"We're here to rescue Aerith, remember? We don't need more attention than what we're gonna get. We need to be smart." Cloud reminded Barret.

"Yeah, I hear ya!" Barret rolled his eyes then exclaimed, "But my soul's screamin! for payback, you know? I'm a ticking time bomb, and sooner or later, I'mma have to blow up!"

"Then blow up only when we don't have much of choice," Sara retorted, "This is the highly secured place in Midgar."

"Don't cha worry," Barret smiled at Sara.