Ch.16

Flashback 10 years ago...

On the east side outside of Midgar lies a town called Kalm. In the town square are a fountain and a water wall. The rest of the buildings, which include an inn, bar, shops, and various residences, surround the town square, which is overlooked by a tall watch tower built into the stone walls.

Running in the middle of the square was a small black-haired girl. She kept looking back only to find three boys chasing her and throwing small rocks at her. She dashes to a nearby alley only to find a dead end. She looks back and sees the three boys staring at her with menacing grins.

"Ha! Freak, go back where you came from!"

"Yeah, we don't want your kind here, so scram!"

"Nobody wants a snake-eyed monster like you!"

The boys were bullying was none other than Sara. Though back then, she would usually introduce herself as Saraphina, her full name. Ever since she could remember, Sara was always picked on by the local children because of her eyes. The way her eyes glowed and looked, it was easy for children to pick on. After all, kids never understood the reason why Sara's eyes were weird.

Sara bit her bottom lip and begged, "P-Please, just leave me alone!"

The boys snickered, "Okay, then take this!"

They began to throw rocks at her, and Sara ducked down, covering her head with her tiny arms. As the stones hit her skin, making minor scrapes and bruises. Once the boys were satisfied with their fun, they left Sara alone.

Sara got up as soon as they were gone. Looking at her arms, she had minor cuts and bruises. Sara looked up at the sky and sighed another day of being bullied. Sara wondered how long she was going to take this?

She walked out of the alley cautiously and saw that the boys were nowhere to be seen. She quickly ran out of the town's square and went near the edge of the village. She then stood in front of a small cozy house. She walked in and smelled the fragrance of roasted chicken and spotted a woman in her mid-twenties cooking.

Sara called out, "Mom, I'm home!"

The woman turned around, who had long black hair, wearing a blue shirt with brown pants smiled at Sara. The woman was Sara's mother named Emily Griffin. Emily noticed the minor cuts on her daughter's arms and narrowed her eyes, then asked, "Saraphina, were you picked on again?"

Sara gulped, then nodded in reply. She knew that her mom would find out even if she lied. Yet, it was better, to be honest than tell a lie. Emily sighed, then reached to a drawer nearby and pulled out a healing materia. After equipping the materia, Emily began to heal Sara. Her mom was one of the best magic casters in all of the town, and her mom would use her knowledge and skill to heal those in need.

As her mom began to heal her, Sara spoke curiously, "Mom, when is Dad coming home?"

Emily sighed, "I don't think he'll be home today, sweetheart. He's been swamped with work and hasn't been able to take time off."

Sara looked down at the floor in disappointment. Sara's dad is a scientist and the top assistant for Professor Hojo. Sara knew that her dad had an important job and knew that his money provided her and her mother everything they needed. Yet, in Sara's heart, she longed to spend time with her father.

Emily finished healing Sara's wounds and smiled, "All done, now sweetheart, I've got soup on the stove ready for you. Mommy has a night out with her friends. So be a good girl when I'm gone. I'll be home late."

Sara nodded, "Okay!"

Emily left the house after she said her goodbyes. Every Friday, Emily would go out with her girlfriends, leaving Sara alone to attend the house. Sara didn't mind it, but she felt an emptiness in her heart. At this point, Sara realized that she'd longed for a friend—someone to comfort this pain of loneliness in her heart. Yet, she was also afraid that no one would accept her for her unusual eyes. Having green cat-eyes doesn't seem normal to anyone. Sara never bothered to ask her mom why she was born with cat-eyes? Afraid that her mom might not have the answer. She thought about asking her dad whenever he came to visit, yet it never happened because he never came, not once for as long as she could remember.