Fundamentally Bad?

Day 3 Cloytober: Growth

❦❦❦

Part of growing up was becoming stronger mentally and physically. Angels and devils grow too but in a vastly different way.

How they grow is through learning how to lift their humans up by being there for them, keeping them safe and teaching them to be good. However, the line between bad and good is often blurred. Often, it is not obvious whether devils and angels worked together or against each other.

This was a lesson that Angel Ri would learn that day.

The first day on the job was difficult. Apart from dealing with his chatterbox of a partner, Angel Ri had to make sure that Dae Reul was walking down the path of good. Unfortunately for him, Dae Reul was in a particularly bad mood that day.

And when a human was in a bad mood, the devil celebrates, for that was when they were the most vulnerable to their attacks.

It started with Dae Reul not helping a classmate up after the poor child had fallen. No matter how Angel Ri whispered against her ear, the child refused to listen to him. Devil Yoon's option of running away had been more acceptable to the moody child.

And then came Dae Reul's showdown with her teacher. It shocked Angel Ri greatly that the little six-year-old was capable of being feisty since he had been told that Dae Reul was an incredibly sweet child.

Again, it was just a bad day, but it surely didn't help that Devil Yoon was actively egging the child on as she argued with her teacher.

But still, Angel Ri kept his cool, channelling all his energy into leading Dae Reul back to the right path. It was during that night when Dae Reul went home that the angel truly lost it.

"Children, time to eat!" Dae Reul's mother shouted.

Their little one was currently playing with her police cars. As with all days when children were focused on their game, Dae Reul didn't hear her mother's shouts for her, much to her parents' chagrins.

"Come on, Dae Reul. Your mother is calling. You wouldn't want to disappoint her, would you? She prepared a warm meal for you." Angel Ri spoke against Dae Reul's right ear, hoping that he could succeed at least once before the day ended.

In Dae Reul's left ear, however, a devil was having the time of her life as she encouraged Dae Reul to keep playing.

"That's right, Dae Reul. Police cars are so fun! You should make that one go down a slide."

Throwing the devil a frustrated frown, Angel Ri was just about to try again when Dae Reul's big brother came running in.

"Dae Reul, it's time for dinner. Eomma and appa have been calling you for ages." Her brother tried to take the toy away from her.

Wrong move.

"He took your car, sweetie. What are you going to do? Are you going to let him get away with it?" Devil Yoon eyed the situation eagerly, waiting for Dae Reul to react the way she wanted her to.

"Dae Reul ah. Your brother loves you. He simply wants you to have dinner. Breathe, sweetheart." Angel Ri countered quickly, biting his lips when he realised Dae Reul was still tense.

What happened next truly wasn't surprising as Dae Reul launched herself at her brother, screaming for the toy in his hands. Shrieks and shouts followed, and the angel ran his hands through his hair in frustration. While Devil Yoon watched on gleefully, Angel Ri was trying his best to stop the fight. Opposite of them, another angel-devil pair was doing the same and Devil Yoon smirked back at the devil attached to Dae Reul's brother.