Stormy Dewdrops

Day 9 Cloytober: Rain

❦❦❦

In the early morning, a group of angels were bent over the clouds, sprinkling buckets of water into the white clouds, filling them until they were sufficiently puffy before sending them away.

Another group was sharpening the lightning bolts until they were smooth and perfect for when they shot them across the clouds to release the water their fellow angels had stored. An hour later, a deep rumbling could be heard even in heaven, an indication of the rain shower that was set to happen soon.  

"It's going to rain today." Ri Jeong Hyeok smiled.

"Ah...those humans are going to be miserable today." Angel Kim stated. "The rain to devils is like catnip to kittens. Some of them go downright crazy with their pranks in such a weather."

"Are you sure?" Ri Jeong Hyeok looked doubtful, for he couldn't quite imagine Seri going "crazy" as his friend described.

Sure, she could get rather dramatic, and some may say, exuberant, but Seri has been more than tolerable so far. They have established a good working relationship and from there came a deep-seated understanding of the other's likes and dislikes.

It was why he was doubtful...Surely Seri was above playing meaningless pranks on the humans?

In every aspect, Ri Jeong Hyeok's verdict was right, because the devil in question had glowered at the skies when she noted down the darkening edges of every cloud. Already, she was cursing the heavens for scheduling a rain shower when the weather had been perfectly warm for the past week.  

Nothing made her more miserable when she was cold than when she was damp and cold. To her, the rain was exactly that and Yoon Seri despised that.

There was nothing to celebrate over getting her precious heels and newly groomed wings wet for. Before her day could begin, Seri was already dreading it. Even the fact that she was meeting Ri Jeong Hyeok soon did nothing to soothe her irritation as she left hell with a huff, wrapping her hands tightly around a blood-red umbrella.

Back in heaven, some of the angels were already squeezing the rest of the water out of the clouds as Angel Ri flew down with Angel Kim.

"It's true." His friend claimed. "Those devils don't even work on rainy days. It's as if those are the days where they take a break and wreak havoc on the universe. Just wait and see, Angel Ri. It's going to be chaos today."

Not convinced, Angel Ri simply shook his head and flew down to earth to meet Yoon Seri at the oak tree they always met before work.

And boy was Angel Kim right about the havoc. The minute the angels landed that morning, they had been attacked by the devils who thought it would be a genius prank to create huge puddles of water throughout Seoul. Angels and humans alike tripped over these puddles, resulting in drench clothes, squishy shoes, and inevitable frustration.

It was no wonder some humans despised the rain.

The devils were certainly making the dreary weather incredibly miserable for everyone.

But despite the havoc around him, Ri Jeong Hyeok was quick to realise that Seri was not amongst the devils pulling pranks wherever they went. A sense of relief so profound filled his chest when the angel realised he was right about Seri.

But where was his devil?

Glancing around, Ri Jeong Hyeok became worried when Yoon Seri wasn't at the oak tree and sprinted off without another word. He couldn't comprehend why his heart was racing now, but he knew he had to find her soon.