Sunlit Reunion

Day 31 Cloytober: Sunlight

❦❦❦

A year later

Sunlight came, and the air was sweeter.

Sunlight came, and every life on earth breathed deeper.

Sunlight came, and with that, the honeyed hues of golden strands were woven into every leaf and every cloud.

There was something ethereal about the sunlight as if the sky had changed its filter that morning into one of the warmer palettes, kissing the earth softly with its amber peace. It was as though the sun was gliding through nature, exploring every minuscule gap between the leaves and every tiny ripple of the waters.

That morning, the angel and devil strolling down the relatively empty park were completely in harmony with the brilliant mosaic of light rays bouncing off every surface of nature. In the sunlight, they saw joy and purity unlike any other. The warm, steady pulse of the rays warmed their hearts from the bottom of their soul and beyond.

And they smiled.

They felt freed.

Just like the strands of gold travelling where they pleased to bless the earth, they felt free too.

Yoon Seri and Ri Jeong Hyeok couldn't help but marvel at the sight of the awakening world around them and the way the rays accentuated their heaven-blessed and hell-lit features.

Under the sunlight, Seri's hair was a lighter shade of brown as her soft tendrils brushed across her skin. Bathed in a beautiful, amber glow, it was no wonder Jeong Hyeok's eyes never once left her as he admired and watched over his beautiful Seri.

"I can't believe Pyo Chi Su is married." Seri raved, shaking her head in disbelief at their most recent revelation.

"Well, his wife seems to enjoy his company." Ri Jeong Hyeok chuckled quietly.

"I'm truly surprised." Seri shrugged "But I guess I'm glad that idiot's happy."

"They all are."

And indeed, the couple was immensely grateful to see their friends living the life that they deserved. Recently, Seri and Jeong Hyeok had been visiting their loved ones, watching them from afar just to check in on them.

Apart from the worry lines and laugh lines that had deepened with time, their friends and family were still as they remembered. To Seri, the ducklings were the family she had chosen. To Jeong Hyeok, the ducklings were his brothers. The couple was content simply knowing that they were living their lives well.

"Oh, how are your parents?" Seri asked.

"They don't look as sullen anymore. They've been spending time out in the garden together. They got another ostrich recently." Jeong Hyeok shared.

"That's good news." Seri sighed with relief, tightening her hold on his hand. "They ought to move on with their lives even if it's difficult sometimes."

Regarding the devil with the softest eyes in the universe, Ri Jeong Hyeok nodded before they continued to converse about their loved ones who were still traversing the human realm until they were due in the afterlife.

An afterlife where they would be able to reunite again.

During that time, a dove soared across the blooming sky, only to land lightly on the angel's shoulder. The shit machine – as Seri fondly calls Edelweiss now – chirped curiously at the couple, observing how their hands were entwined tightly between them.

"That shit machine is overly attached to you." Seri tutted but nevertheless fed the dove some breadcrumbs from her pocket.

Yes, she kept breadcrumbs in her pockets now too.