Paint Me Golden

Day 7 Cloytober: Name

❦❦❦

Between rolling over the sand dunes of the Sahara Desert and trekking through the thick foliage of the Amazon Forest, the angel and devil found themselves in one of the more touristy parts of Switzerland shortly before sunrise.

After a night of getting to know one another, Devil Yoon had wondered if there was a place where they could watch the sunrise together. It was Angel Ri's idea to bring them to Switzerland, more specifically, to one of the famous suspension bridges overlooking Lake Thun. The Sigriswil Panorama Bridge.

If she was curious why Angel Ri decided to bring them here, Devil Yoon never said anything. Instead, she casually placed a foot on the suspension bridge, only to freeze when the most surreal burst of images flitted through her mind.

An old recorder, the tear-stained hems of a checkered suit jacket, the blurred view of the mountains and deep blue lake...

But that wasn't all. It was the foreign yet familiar feelings that left Devil Yoon gasping for breath as she took a fearful step back onto solid ground. Sanctuary.

That gripping pain, that despondent loneliness, that feeling where you've committed to death but was pleading for one last lifeline to save you.

A woman who has rebelled all her life just to find her standing in a world that was unkind to her. A world where she didn't even have a family. A broken soul.

"Devil Yoon?" The angel next to her stopped when she did.

Concern only grew in his chest when he noted down the sudden change in the devil's complexion. Suddenly, she looked sick, and he instinctively held onto her arm to support her just in case she faints.

"Devil Yoon?" He called again, shaking her shoulder slightly to get her attention.

Glazed eyes met his, unseeing and pained, leaving Angel Ri breathless as he tried his best to bring her back to him. With one last shake, that glazed look in her eyes left them, only to be replaced by glassy turmoil and fear as she shook her head hard.

"Are you okay?"

His soothing baritone was the first thing that washed over her when Devil Yoon was back in reality. Still shaken and lost over a distant memory, the reasons for her emptiness all these centuries gradually surfaced, leaving her a trembling mess in front of the angel. Tears quickly fell to the ground, for Devil Yoon felt incredibly overwhelmed in the face of losing her ignorance over her past life.

"This is only our second day meeting. Why am I crying in front of you? It's so frustrating." The devil tried to compose herself as she wiped her face hurriedly.

The last thing she expected was to cry in front of Angel Ri but the tears that started couldn't be stemmed because her heart was exposed in its full vulnerability.