Bells

Day 8 Cloytober: Laugh

❦❦❦

Back in the past

"Where's eomma? Did eomma disappear? Here I am!" Seri was playing peek-a-boo with their little Haneul over her crib on one of the brightest mornings in Switzerland.

Seri's untamed enthusiasm was especially contagious that morning, eliciting the most adorable babbles of laughter from their little one. In the living room, Ri Jeong Hyeok was seated with one leg propped by the other, balancing a cup of black coffee in his hand as he watched his wife and daughter with the softest eyes in the universe.

It amused him greatly that his wife never once grew tired of playing this little game with their daughter. One that Seri had once complained about, claiming it was too childish for the likes of a businesswoman.

Clearly, she had underestimated their daughter's adorableness.

At work, Seri might be unbending and downright scary. But Ri Jeong Hyeok has always known that she has a soft heart. If given the chance to love, Seri excelled at it just like how she soared when it came to business.

That morning, the whole household emanated a warm vibe, much like what you got from a pumpkin spice latte on a windy autumn day. It was for a simple reason too, why they were this happy.

Laughter.

The natural medicine to all the woes in this world.

On the surface, laughing was simply a sound that came from their lips, but beneath all that, every laughter was special.

For Yoon Seri, the laugh was in her eyes. It was in that little upturn of her lips and her crescent eye smiles. It was in that slight hunch of her back whenever she would laugh into her hands, a mix of unrestrained and relaxed happiness that she never thought she would ever experience.

For Ri Haneul, the laugh was in her incoherent babbles, rising and flowing to that of her mother's laughter, for the child was still learning and growing every day. It was in her little attempts of clapping, recognising that her mother often did that when she was happy. But above all, it was in her knowing eyes as she watched her parents through her open-mouth smiles, giggling and radiating the purest bells of joy often seen in children.

And for Ri Jeong Hyeok? It was simple. His laugh was in theirs too. It came from within, booming and drifting across the room to dance with that of his two favourite girls. It was in that subtle relaxation of his muscles and that crinkle in the corner of his eyes. Over time, he learned how to smile with his eyes too.

Now, they were the picture-perfect family, one that was often used in those heartwarming family commercials preaching about happiness and whatnots during every special season.

As he said, the reason for the warm atmosphere that morning was incredibly simple, yet so intricate if one truly tried to identify what made the Ri family special.

It was in their laughter. Always have and always would be. The answer has been in there all this time.

❦❦❦

Back in the present

"Goodness, she's precious!" Yoon Seri doubled over with laughter the minute Dae Reul's genius remark left her lips.

If Ri Jeong Hyeok were to describe Seri's laughter now, it was bells. Seri's laughter was like those tiny bells some dancers wore as anklets, vibrant and lively as they danced to the music. The bright peals of laughter escaping her lips now was exactly like that and more, echoing as giggles, infectious and beautiful to the ears.

Something about Seri's laughter enchanted Ri Jeong Hyeok and no matter what, he craved more. With a start, he realised this was the first time he has heard the devil truly laugh.

Were his friends joking with him when they claimed devils cackled like witches? Because he certainly didn't think Seri's laughter was anything like an ugly cackle now.

"Ri Jeong Hyeok, do you not find this funny?" Seri slapped the angel's arm multiple times as she laughed.

Because of how contagious Seri's laughter was, Ri Jeong Hyeok couldn't help but laugh too, albeit softly. Still, Seri never missed that deep rumble in his chest as he chuckled, a sound that intrigued her instantly as she stopped laughing to study him.

Ri Jeong Hyeok rarely laughed, but when he did, it was with the heart and warmth of hot chocolate on Christmas Day, generous and uplifting, deep yet comforting. To say Seri was enthralled was a clear understatement to her capacity to appreciate the beauty in simplicity.

"Ri Jeong Hyeok, you should laugh more."

Seri's comment took him off guard and the angel stopped laughing too.

"So suddenly?" Ri Jeong Hyeok wondered aloud.

"You only laughed today, Captain. But you should do it more." Seri quipped.

Ri Jeong Hyeok blushed but said nothing to disagree as he turned to the devil. "I would say the same for you."

"Tell you what. I'll try to laugh more if you do too." Seri challenged.

Naturally, the fire in the devil's eyes amused the angel greatly, and the man let out another deep chortle in acknowledgement of Seri's challenge. A smile found its way onto Seri's face until she was smiling from ear to ear, basking in Ri Jeong Hyeok's open show of unrestrained joy and happiness.

Laughing is contagious, or so they say. But it was true, for Yoon Seri found herself joining Ri Jeong Hyeok as they laughed with their heads bent towards each other. Dae Reul's laughter joined theirs too, creating another picture-worthy moment had they been born into the same world.

For Devil Yoon, the laugh was in her eyes. It was in that little upturn of her lips and her crescent eye smiles. It was in that trembling of her raven black wings as her feathers shook with her laughter coming from within.

For Dae Reul, the laugh was in her echoing giggles as she basked in her classmates' applause. It was in how she was grinning cheekily at everyone as she clapped for herself too. That childlike joy brimming on her face and her open-mouthed laughter was the purest show of happiness in a child that they were coming to care deeply for.

And for Angel Ri? It was simple. His laugh was in theirs too. It came from within, booming and drifting across the room to dance with that of his devil and his human. It was in that subtle relaxation of his muscles and that crinkle in the corner of his eyes. It was in the light shaking of his brilliant white feathers as he swayed slightly to their laughter.

It was in their laughter. Always have and always would be. The answer has been in there all this time.

And now, it was in the stirrings of their affection too.