Hellish Craze

Day 28 Cloytober: Dark

❦❦❦

Memories were often a finicky thing, but when they do come rushing back, one couldn't help but wonder how they forgot such an integral, albeit minor part of their lives. It was funny how one could easily underestimate the power that one event could have on how their life would unfold.

To Devil Yoon, forgetting the one woman who wronged her family so deeply was a mistake she shouldn't have made in the first place.

It all came back to her.

That fateful night. That twisting feeling in her gut when she saw that monster in her red champagne dress. The crash.

And even in the afterlife, they were reminded of what she did to them.

The article. The "freak" accident Officer Kim had mentioned. The car accident on a snowy night.

Three lives lost.

That monster even had the cheek to use that exact phrase when she spoke to them for the last time.

How could someone be that heartless knowing she would be consciously tearing a family apart – an effect that they were still suffering from in the afterlife?

"Sang-ah, that monster." Yoon Seri bit out through gritted teeth.

Before either Ri Jeong Hyeok or the Grim reaper could react, the devil had shot up towards the sky with one powerful beating of her wings that held all the coldness of her anger. Both trembled from the brunt of her forceful flight, knowing without a doubt that she was wholly enraged.

The angel didn't even have time to react, let alone follow her. Which was why he was in a bit of a pickle now as he paced in front of the Grim reaper.

"Where could she have gone?" The angel wondered aloud.

"Beats me." The Grim reaper shrugged as he squinted at the darkening sky. "She didn't even say goodbye..."

Worried for his lover, the angel wouldn't stop pacing as he thought about what Seri said. Yet, his mind drew a blank when he tried to identify where she could have gone.

"You really don't know where she could have gone?" The angel checked one last time.

"If I knew, I would have told you by now. I don't read minds although if you're concerned whether she's in Death's book today, she isn't. It's not like it's easy to kill a devil." The Grim reaper spoke casually, only backing off when the angel eyed him intensely.

Fair enough...but that truly didn't make Ri Jeong Hyeok feel any better. He had no doubts about Seri's capacity to protect herself, but he didn't like being apart from her especially when she wasn't feeling the best emotionally.

What if someone takes advantage of her anger or grief?

But as he thought harder about everything the Grim reaper told them and the revelation Seri had, everything started to come together for the angel too. The angel stopped pacing abruptly then and the Grim reaper looked at him with questioning eyes. Just like that, the angel flew off too without another word.

"Goodbye, I guess...I suppose I'll see them both next year." The Grim reaper stood up slowly from the rock that he had been sitting on. "I hope."

With one last glance at Kim Dae Reul, the Grim reaper left too, sensing that the night would be an interesting one for them all.

Somewhere in Seoul, a devil landed gracefully in front of an estate that had only stepped in once or twice in her previous lifetime. Angered eyes bore holes into the very exterior of the estate as she boldly stalked up to it without a single thought.