Chapter 4

I'm not gonna lie, the day with the Smith family wasn't awful like I thought it was going to be. Can't wait to tell Ava this...

"Ava..." I slowly walk into our room, the door half open.

"AVA! Oh my gosh!" I cover my eyes quickly at the scene before my eyes.

"Jesus Natalie, a little text that you were on your way home would've been nice!" Ava quickly sits up, pulling her shirt down as Maverick Lyons from school lays on her bottom bunk with his shirt off.

"Hey Nat, how you doing?" Maverick nonchalantly waves.

"You need to get out, like now!" I yell.

"Shut up Natalie! I don't need a commotion started over this!" Ava growls and stands at the door and waves goodbye to Maverick.

After she shuts the door, I give her a "what the hell look".

"Want to tell me what I just walked into?" I tap my foot like an inpatient mother.

"Sorry, I didn't know when you'd be back or if you'd be back for that matter.." She trails off and I can see her body stiffening.

"Hey I was ALWAYS going to come back, that was just a trial run." 

"So are you going to move in with them or?" 

I sigh because truly I don't know yet. I like that Maggie can look up to me and we can best friends like how Ava is with Lily.

"So you are. You've chosen a complete family of strangers you've met for one day over me... over us? We've known you for eight years and you're just going to give up on us? That's it?!" Ava was on fire and there was no changing her mind.

"Look Ava, you know it's not like that!" I tried defending myself even though I knew she was too hot-headed to even listen.

"Then what is it like?" She threw her hands up in the air in defeat.

"Maggie, she's great. She's ten years old and the cutest. I adore her like you do with Lily." I admit, my cheeks turning a shade of pink.

"That's just awesome Natalie. You found yourself a new sister, congratulations." And with that, she opens the door and doesn't look back at me.

Well that went horrible.

AVA POV

So glad my so called sister found a new sister to be best friends with. Apparently I mean nothing to her and every moment we ever had is just a faded memory now. Also, how dare she not knock on the door when I was alone with Maverick!

I plop down on the couch in the main living area and yank the remote right out of Garrett's hand.

"Hey what the hell!?" 

"I need a distraction so the Kardashian's it is." I mutter.

"No, what the fuck! I was here first. Go cry about your issues to someone else. Also what was Maverick doing here? You know Harriet's rule, door OPEN with guests." 

"It was, it wasn't shut all the way. Natalie walked in and ruined it anyway."

"Ouch, that's awkward." 

"Yeah well want to know what is more awkward? My so called sister for life here just up and moving to a random family and liking it." I was to burst into tears at any given moment now.

"Hey Ava, can you help me with something?" Lily came skipping into the room then.

"Not now Lily." It was giving me every fiber in my being to not blow up on Lily right now even though she's done nothing wrong.

"I'll help ya kid since Miss Bratty over here won't." Garrett gets off the recliner then and picks Lily up.

"Lily! I didn't mean it." I say after I see her disappointed look as she's in Garrett's arms.

"Save it Ava." Garrett puts his hand out like talk to the hand.

"Ava, I need to speak with you." Harriet takes me out of my trance then.

"Turn the TV off please." I do as I'm asked and walk into her office then.

"This is very important and I never thought I'd have to have this conversation with you but here we are." Her hands are folded across her desk then, her face very serious. I swallow hard as I wait for her to break the news to me.

"Your father wants to connect with you."

WHAT?

"My F-father? He knows I'm in here?" Whoa, the room is spinning. Make it stop, someone please!

"Yes, he was recently in contact with your mother. They had a little run-in and he was asking about you. Your mother said it's totally up to you, she's not going to force you to see him, she just wants you to know that you do have the option." 

"Wow... um... I don't really know how to feel about this right now. I kind of always figured my mom was going to struggle as bad as that sounds and that my dad didn't give a flying care where I am. I love Lily SO much.." I was getting emotional now.

"I know how hard it can be to take in all of this. You don't have to give me a yes or no right now, you can think about it. But I know since Natalie is moving out soon this might be good for you."

"Hold on? Nat's leaving?" 

"Oh my, I thought she told you. Look, why don't you just forget I said anything at all and just take a break today." She stands up from her desk and takes off her glasses.

"I just can't forget everything you just told me, Harriet!" I raise my voice at her but she doesn't seem to care because she just threw a lot at me and she knows it.

"Hey, is everything okay in here?" Natalie peeks around the corner then.

"Yeah, just fucking great Natalie! My dad wants to see me and you're leaving. Why don't you just pack your bags and get the fuck out of my way!" I shove past her and run out the front door.

I stop on the porch and look into the beaming sun with tears in my eyes.Why? Why did God choose this life for me? Why couldn't my mom be well and my parents still be together? I wish I NEVER even met Natalie.