Chapter 8

"Excuse me, what did you just say?" Natalie jumps from the couch then.

"You're pregnant?!" I turn to look at her in disbelief. She has no idea how screwed she is, she'll get sent to a group home, Harriet can't keep her if she's pregnant, it's against the rules.

"Guys can you keep it down? I didn't tell anyone yet and I don't plan to."

Natalie and I exchange a look before returning our attention back to Hailey.

"Who's the dad?" Natalie asks.

"Maxwell, who else? I'm not some whore that you two think I am." She looks defeated and I honestly feel bad for her because she knows the consequences of this now.

"You guys didn't use protection?" I look at her incredulously. She knows better, why would she make such a stupid mistake?

"Obviously not Ava, I wouldn't be telling you this if we did." There's snarky Hailey again, it was getting a little weird with her being so soft and loving towards us.

"But why not?" Natalie begs.

"We got caught up in the moment, he didn't have anymore on him so I said it's fine. I wanted him so bad in that moment that I didn't care if we had protection or not." She admits and I now need to take a seat because holy shit this is a game changer.

"But can I trust you two to please keep this a secret until I'm ready to tell Harriet?" She looked desperate so I agreed and so did Natalie.

"We're not going to last long though, you know us too well." Natalie laughs.

"Yes I know, but please just hush hush because if Garrett finds out, he'll go right to Harriet and Hudson."

We both nod our heads in agreement and she leaves the room, heading upstairs.

"Well there's that." Natalie sighs.

"Yeah back to our issue." I mumble.

"Ava, you know I love you like a sister and I always will but there's a new opportunity for me to take and I'm kind of curious." She openly admits and it feels like I've been broken up with.

"I know. Just sucks because we were so close to aging out together but whatever, do what you want. I'm not meant to have a family after what happened with my dad." I didn't even mean for that to come out as depressing as it did, it's just the reality of the situation.

"Ava! Ava! Ava!" In comes Lily running through the front door, off the bus.

"Hey cutie, what're you up to this afternoon?" I bend down to her height and give her a hug.

"Actually, if we could get all of you to the living room, we need to discuss something." Harriet walks in after her.

"Kids!" Hudson yells from the bottom of the stairs.

Down the stairs comes Hailey, Emelyne, Garrett and Adam.

"What's going on? I was in the middle of killing zombies." Adam says, he's a gamer junkie.

"Everyone sit down, we need to talk." Hudson says as he sits down on the middle of couch. Hailey tenses and starts to fumble with her hands in her lap.

"Lily's adoption is going to be finalized in court tomorrow morning!" Harriet couldn't hold back her excitement, as she dabs her eyes from the happy tears.

I instantly feel joy for Lily, she'll never have to experience jumping from foster home to foster home and I'm so incredibly grateful she has found the loving home of the Richards. I smile as Lily is doing a happy dance.