Chapter Seventeen

Today was Monday. A week gone after my birthday.

I shrugged the dizziness away and stretched my long hands, embracing the cold atmosphere.

My bad I haven't taken a bath. I really hope I'm not late today.

I got up from bed and went to the living room to greet my parents but I didn't hear anyone's voice. I looked around the kitchen too but found no one.

"Where's everyone? Judy?"

Even Judy didn't answer. I was going to go when I saw a sticky note on the fridge.

I moved closer knowing this must be from any of them. In fact,  it was in my mom's handwriting. I know she the only one who could've have thought of leaving this note.

She does that often.

Tearing it off the fridge,  I read it out.

"We're sorry Claire, I know we shouldn't leave like this but your sister had to change school because she reported she's being bullied so we went to check on her.We'll be back next week. I know you're a good girl and won't misbehave, so your dad suggested you stay at home alone! " my eyes went up in shock.

"Really! So,  Judy gets it all and all I get is this?  Mom,  why!" I forced the tears back and gulped in hugely. I dragged myself to the couch,  still in my pyjama. My hair looked heavily ruffled and I made it more messy by dragging my hands into it angrily.

Anyway,  there was still more in the letter so I breathed in really sharply and continued to read it.

"We'll miss you and make sure to take your drugs so that attack doesn't come again. See the doctor if you feel any pains in your chest, Claire. I want you to know I love you and I care. I promise to be back,  also no late partying. Take care, my dew drop"

Alright now, I couldn't stop the tears.... Mom used to call me this some pretty years ago and it felt strange she was calling me this at a moment such as this!

This must be to blackmail me of course.

I threw the note away and ran to my bedroom. I let my body fall to the bed.

"They left me again when I thought it was going to be good,  I never realised these selfish people would just spoil my day with just  a note."

I sobbed into my pillow for what felt like an hour before my phone pinged. I lazily stretched my hand to where the phone was and picked it by pressing the 'on' button. I trued to get my breathing regular.

"Hey princess,  it's clocking seven already and you're not at school already? Is everything okay?" Tracy said almost like a chirp in her always excited self voice.

"Yeah... I just discovered no one is at home...." I managed to sound a bit louder in my muffled voice.

"Is she okay? " a voice said underground but I heard clearly. "What did she say?"

I jolted up from bed and cleared the already drying tears away.

"Cl-"

"Xavier is there? " I cut in Tracy's words.

"Yes... He's been asking why you're not at school already. Even we are also worried. Drake has been really upset and hey-" she paused then I heard her whisper into the phone.
"When has this been going on? Since when did you get the bad boy's eye... Aww, I'm jealous already. "

I bit my lip to stop blushing but really I knew I was blushing.

"Whatever,  I'll be in school,  tell him that... Or can you give the phone to him instead?"