Chapter Twenty-two [mature content]

We had exam so I had to go. In less than 6 months,  I'll be completing my studies at Ruby High.

I sighed and lifted my head up to see if he's in the class.

I turned to take a look at the back but Xavier wasn't there. He has been avoiding me since yesterday. I could remember his text message vividly...

But he was not even making it seem so. Nor is he making effort to talk with me.

Immediately I saw him enter,  I fixed my eyes on him. We were having a free  period since it's just a week before exams,  we were left to study.

Our eyes met but that was only for two seconds before he looked away and never looked at me again. I frowned and stood up to go to his seat. I could feel eyes on me. He was also looking at me.

I expected something different than an emotionless face and eyes that were telling a different story.

"Xavier.... "

He didn't reply. He just fixed his eye in the space.

"I don't want you to lie to me. Was dad saying the truth? Zoe is Jake's sister? You got her pregnant?"

His eyes met mine and from his look,  he was trying hard not to break down. For once,  I just stared at him waiting for him to say something.

He looked like he wanted to say something but refrained. I rolled my eyes.

"But you promised not to hide anything. Why did you hide this?"

He opened his mouth and closed it again,  shutting his eyes.

I took time to notice every inch of his face. The purplish scar still there but new ones were there too. Where did he get that?

Oh,  right. He fought again.

The silence was awkward and I wanted to so force him to speak. What was it he was hiding again!

But,  what happened next took me by surprise. He stood up and was going out of class.

"Xa... " I quickly follow after him, scared what he might do.

We were just outside the class just around the locker room and he was walking so fast.

"Xavier! " I yelled,  stopping and tears threatening to jump out. It hurts he's keeping me out of his troubles.

He didn't stop.

"Wait! " I paused, surprised at the crack in my voice. "Please... " I said quietly, not sure he heard.

A few seconds later,  he turned and all I saw were a pair of teary blue eyes I loved to see glitter in amusement not in tears and a sad boy in front of me.

"Claire. I—"

"What? " I curiously and impatiently say,  closing the distance a bit.

He looked down and sighed, his shoulders sagged and I hated to see that helplessness.

I didn't know what pushed me to it though and I was scared to hear what he'd say next. I suddenly run towards him.

I've waited for so long...

Pausing my steps right in front of him and seeing his curious gaze,  I caught my breath and stood on my tippy toes, not averting his gaze at all.

"What are you doing? " he whispered huskily and then his hands were hanging loosely at my hip because it was hard getting to his height and not swaying.

Not my fault he's 2'2 inches taller.

"I guess, it's what we both want? " I replied with a shrug, shutting my eyes close. And forgetting about the world around us, I crashed my lips on his.