Chapter 15

"Nene-chan..may I come with you to visit Hanako-kun today?" you asked your white-haired friend. She smiled at you warmly. "Of course! But don't you have your club today?" Yashiro said. You froze up at the mention of your club. "Umm...the club leader is sick so no club today..."

"Ah, I see. I hope they get better!" Yashiro easily believed your words. You felt bad for lying at her because she so genuinely hoped the club leader got better. "Oh! I almost forgot! You know Yu-chan, right? She asked you to meet her at the classroom during lunch, " you were surprised.

Yui was someone who liked to be alone. She loved reading with nobody around to make a ruckus and disturb her. So to hear she wanted to meet someone, it was a bit shocking. "Alright, I'll make sure to remember, " you told Yashiro. She smiled and ran back when the teacher came.

You sat there for the entire lesson, thinking about what Yui wanted. A sudden pain erupted in your head, and you cupped it immediately. You knew you had overworked yourself last night, and not taken any break. This just shows your mother, in fact, does not know what's best.

Lunch finally came, and you took out your food. You felt someone's presence behind you, and you slightly turned towards the person. Yui was standing there, a small smile on her face. "Um..L/N-san, I believe Yashiro-san told you about me..?" she asked you nervously.

Ah, you've been thinking about that, but in the end you forgor after all. "Yeah, sorry, I almost forgot. What did you want to talk about, Yu-chan?" you asked, standing up. Yui motioned for you to follow her out the classroom and down the hall. You willingly went with the girl.

Both of you arrived at an empty classroom. The sunlight seeped through the large windows, brightening up the usually dim room. Yui closed the door softly and turned to you. "So, what's up?" you asked lightly, turning to face the girl. She had her head down, and stayed silent.

"How much do you know about Ichigo-san?" she suddenly asked, her head raising up to stare into your eyes. They were cold and emotionless, and it sent chills up your spine. "Uhh..Yu-chan, are you okay?" you asked. Those eyes..they reminded you of that day when you first saw them.

"I asked you. How much do you know about Ichigo-san? Did you know her personally?" she asked, slowly making her way towards you. "N-No! I didn't know her personally!" you stammered, backing away until your back hit a desk. Yui got closer and closer.

You leaned over the desk, trying your best to make some distance between you two. But that just resulted in Yui towering over your slightly shaking figure. Her eyes bore into your soul, and she stayed silent for a moment. She grabbed your wrists again. "Or could it be that..."

"You are Ichigo-san?"

That sentence made no sense. How could you be Ichigo-san when you weren't even a ghost? "Yu-chan, I think you've misunderstood. That couldn't be possible! Me being Ichigo-san is impossible!" you tried to reason with her. "Is it that or is it..." Yui began speaking.

"Do you just not know that you're Ichigo-san?" she asked you, her eyes widening slightly. "What...are you talking about? I would know if I was a ghost, right!?" you said again, shaking your head and trying to laugh it off. Yui just stared at you, narrowing her cold blue eyes.

She suddenly backed away and flashed you a shy smile. "Oh, I see! Sorry for being weird. That's all I wanted to know, you can go now!" she said. Like always, she reverted back to the awkward, timid, and gentle girl you had first met. You nodded wordlessly and ran out of the room.

Yui's eyes followed your running figure, up until you shut the door behind you. She stood there for a moment, staring at the door. "So it's like that, huh? No matter. I'll make sure you realize it soon, and surrender your position to me, " she whispered, an eerie grin on her face.

.

.

.

.

.

"L/N!" Hanako cried, wrapping his arms around you and nuzzling your cheek with his. "Ahah, hello to you, too, Hanako-kun, " you said to him, cracking a smile. Hanako let go of you and scanned your figure. His bright smile slid a bit when he saw how exhausted you were.

"Are you okay?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "Oh- yeah! I'm perfectly fine!" you said. Jeez, you really needed to start taking care of yourself. Now everyone could see how exhausted you really felt. Hanako inspected you closely, but chose not to say anything more about the matter.

"Anyways, Hanako-kun, have you found any reason why Y/N-chan can see spirits right of the bat?" Yashiro asked, an eager sparkle in her wide eyes. Hanako smiled softly. "Unfortunately, no. We think that they can just...see ghosts!" he told her, shrugging his shoulders childishly.

"Ehh? There has to be something more to it than that!" Yashiro insisted. Hanako patted her head. "Sorry, Yashiro, there's nothing more we can do. Although, there is only one explanation as to why they can see ghosts. Maybe they're a ghost themselves, " Hanako suggested.

"What? No way!" you said straight away. It was the same thing Yui had said, and you didn't want to remember your meeting with her. "That's right! If Y/N-chan was a ghost, they'd know it!" Yashiro backed you up. You flashed her a grateful smile, which she gladly returned.

"Ahh, I'm sorry, but that's all I've got! There can be circumstances where spirits don't realize their dead, and that's why they think people ignore them, when people really can't see them, " Hanako said. You brought a hand to your chest, feeling a bit nervous all of a sudden.

"Hanako-kun! Y/N-chan's not like that! Everyone can see them! Y/N-chan, let's just go home and try again tomorrow, okay?" Yashiro turned to you and grabbed your hand. You nodded, and let Yashiro pull you out of the bathroom. Hanako hovered above the floor, his eyes serious.

"This is a matter of belief, I see..."