~16~

The wind had subsided and the rain softly drummed against the roof of the boat house. The wooden boards occasionally squealed when the wind hit them, but they'd held their ground. It seemed as though the worst part of the storm had passed.
After what had seemed like hours, Yoongi and I were cuddled up underneath the blanket, trying to warm each other up. We had hung our clothes over a few of the boxes, hoping that they would dry as much as possible until we decided it was safe enough to leave the boat house.

"I'm sorry that I can't keep you warmer than this", he apologized. He was warming my hands by holding them in his own and rubbed my back with his other hand.
We had decided to wait until the rain was weak enough to run back inside. It seemed as if we could do that soon.

"I should be the one to apologize that we ended up here in the first place", I told him. "At least we're safe in here."

Yoongi just leaned his head back against the wall and looked upward where a few droplets of rain managed to slip through some gaps in the roof and landed on the wooden floor.

"What do we do about your dad now?", I asked, recalling the previous night spent rummaging through the office with Taehyung.

Yoongi bit his lower lip. "I thought we could talk to Hoseok's father. Or Taehyung's. See what they know."

"You trust them? What if they're also part of this whole scheme?"

Yoongi shrugged: "I can't be sure, but it's a safer bet than heading straight to the police with it. Hoseok's dad has always been nice and if what Taehyung told us is correct, his father is innocent."

I was quiet for a moment. "Can I ask you something?"

His head turned so he could face me. "Hm?"

"I know your dad isn't the best person in the world. But... would you really be prepared to go to the police with this? I mean, he's still your father."

Yoongi took a moment to mull it over. "There was a time when he used to be nicer and a whole lot more caring. But that's not him anymore. Not since mom died."

I nodded and leaned into him. It was never easy for him to talk about these things.

"We should do what's right. No matter who's involved", he declared and I could only respect his resolve.
"Speaking of the police, detective Kim called me recently to discuss further evidence that they found."

I nodded. "Right. That was why you left that morning."

"The good news is that I'm cleared of any suspicion", he explained. Those were the good news he'd wanted to tell me. That morning, he'd wanted us to pack our bags and leave, but then the fight had happened and the whole thing with Taehyung asking for our help. He hadn't had the chance to tell me yet.
"The bad news is; they looked through lists of gun owners on the island whose model matches the murder weapon. My brother is one of those people."

"Your brother??", I exclaimed. "Do you think he could be... you know?"

"I refuse to believe that. But this could be a problem", Yoongi shook his head. "If they start following him around and searching through his files, they might find that bank account under his name and-"

He went silent.
"The gun would lead the search to him...and his name is on the files."

I needed a moment to follow his train of thought. "What are you implying?"

Yoongi's hand went through his damp hair. I'd never seen him look so shocked before.
"The gun my brother has is the identical model as the murder weapon. The files on my father's computer say that my brother is the owner of the account that receives the illegal money..."