viii | happy news

EACH NIGHT HE came to love her, and each night she forgot all her fears of pain and betrayal as his soft lips kissed her till midnight.

But every dawn he left, even before she could see him.

Every dawn, she wondered who he was.

Psyche spent her time roaming around the palace. She bathed in the numerous fountains, ate delicious fruits and talked to the birds. They gave her good company.

Often the West Wind visited her, and they became good friends. It delighted her that her husband didn't forbid her from being so close to another man. With time, the three became a family.

One morning, Zephyrus came to meet Psyche. He found her face glowing more than ever, though her eyes looked tired.

"Is my friend sleepy?"

She nodded.

"Master must have been too clingy?"

She chuckled.
"I have some news."

Zephyrus brushed back her locks. "Your smile tells me it's great. And even I have something to tell you."

Psyche tilted her head. "What is it?"

With a frown, he said, "Your sisters wish to meet you. But I am not sure if they want your good."

Psyche sighed. "I don't think it would do me harm if I meet them. There's nothing more they can do to me."

"But what's the news you have?"

Psyche smiled.
"I am carrying."

Zephyrus almost lost his balance upon the air.

"Am I the first one to know?"

There was a pain in her eyes.
"I realised this dawn. But he leaves before the sunup. I could not contain and shared with you my joy."

"Be happy-"

"Would he mind that I told you first?"

Zephyrus' gaze softened. "Did he mind us talking? Did he ever hurt you?"

"No."

"Then don't despise him."

She shook her head. "I don't hate him. I might even love." She rubbed her belly. "But what is our love? I haven't even seen him."

"When time comes, he will show himself to you. But tonight, make him happy with this wonderful news." He flapped his wings and went away

****

She was growing impatient.

He had never been this late.

"I am sorry. I got my foot cut in a twig."

She gasped. In the time she had spent with him, it took her little time to feel his presence in the dark and touch his feet. Tracing his toe, she felt a cut.

"Your skin is soft-"

Unlike a monster.

"-and you are so careless."

He lifted her up and made her sit on his lap.

"How do you know I am unlike a monster?"

She knitted her brows together.

"You haven't seen me."

"You don't show yourself."

"Yet, you seem to know me so well."

"Isn't it unfair that you know every part of me and I don't know you?"

"Are bodies more important than souls?"

She pouted. "Fine, but if you love me, grant me a wish. I promise it isn't about letting me see you."

"Ask away."

"I want you to let my sisters meet me."

He pulled her closer to himself, his grip tightening.

"They don't love you."

"It would do no harm if they see me. I have nothing to make them envious of."

"Maybe they would find one in time."

"You had promised me a wish."

"Did I?"

"If you fulfill this, I have a gift for you."

Eros chuckled. "Are your bribing a monster? How brave of you."

She tried freeing herself from his embrace, but his sweet laugh rang in her ears like a melody and she gave up, melting in his arms.

"I shall ask Zephyrus to bring them here tomorrow."

Psyche kissed him. For what she could understand, maybe her lips had touched upon his forehead.

"And my gift?"

Psyche blushed, her eyes darting in the darkness.

"I am pregnant."