i | cursed beauty

THE IMMORTALS SAID, infidelity ran in her blood. She was a rebellious woman in the Heaven of patriarchy, sewing in her skin the pain of submission and innumerable heartbreaks.

The mahogany fabric embellished with rubies and onyx shimmered under the mercy of the unfortunate night as Aphrodite walked in grace, her bosom full and round and soft, accentuated by the golden belt holding them tightly at the edge of the gentle skin. Her beautiful blonde curls fell over messy turns on her shoulders, peonies crying for justice as their nectar soaked her hair.

"I am not going to lose."

Her green eyes gleamed maliciously, weaving a plot to dethrone her rival. For she only had her beauty, her children and old memories to live with, and she would never give up any for Ananke's sake. Beauty had become synonymous with her.

"I must teach her a lesson."

****

Darkness loomed over her. The little bees buzzed outside the only window in her room. Midnight blue shades illuminated the walls as Selene's light made the room glow.

The maiden's beautiful, warm brown eyes melted into an ocean of serenity. The scarlet lips parted to sigh, a chilly snowy breath leaving to meet the night wind. Unable to endure it anymore, Psyche closed the window. She desired loneliness. It was sufficient.

Her heart was too foolish, childish. Every dawn she prayed to see a new day where she would be accepted like any other being.

Yet, every morning, she felt guilty of yearning for companionship. For they would behold her like a Goddess born of forbidden pleasures, revere her as a symbol of evergreen beauty. With milky breasts and rosy cheeks, she looked more like an unachievable Goddess than the mortal daughter of a boastful king.

She was the prettiest woman in a land where men lived.

By her father, authority was imposed upon her.

By her mother, meekness was showered upon her face.

By her envious sisters, gifted were tears of melancholy.

And by mortal men an intimidating respect which let her walk the path of Aphrodite's rival.

They demolished Aphrodite's temples and statutes in her name.

Without her consent.

Her parents had given birth to a daughter who would bring them, they assumed, the bestest of men and the richest of Gods.

A pawn that was the harbinger of luxuries.

But the plan was failing.

A drop of sky-blue glided across a skin of molten gold as Psyche shivered in the cold-blooded cruelty of her family.