xii | chained

WORRY AND SADNESS whipped and tortured her, pushing her to the ground and wounding her head. She bled, but she took it in with a smile.

She knew not if hurting oneself served as a way of pleasure, but knowing that he was not alone in pain and that she could be a companion, it calmed her heart.

Aphrodite left for a wedding, giving Psyche her first trial.

She had to separate each type of grain or lentil from a pile of cereals, lentils and beans.

Psyche's cries and plea for help melted the heart of a little ant, who came and did the task for her.

Aphrodite upon returning found the task to be done so skillfully, she threw a crust of hard bread to Psyche.

Poor girl slept hungry at night.

****

Eros tossed and turned in his bed. It felt good to see the wounds heal and the bleeding stop, but it hurt when he knew it was cured by a touch that was tainted with vengeance.

Groaning, he hid his face in a pillow.

"Why, why does love always keep pain?"

"Ah!"

The wailing and moaning of a very familiar voice made him afraid.

Was she near, yet so far?

He got down the bed with struggle, limping to the door and straining his ears.

The slashing of a whip against soft, pink skin.

He felt his wounds open up, fresh and red.

She was like a feather, destined to be angelic and fly. But not shred into pieces.

A slit was made in his heart, pouring out all the unseen darkness he had harboured till now.

He truly had acted like a beast, kept up to the epithet.

Despite the wrath that brewed in his heart, he pushed the door and decided to go and visit her for she came so far for him.

And now, he could not see her get killed.

That's my fear, isn't it? Mortals dying in love?

But am I not wrong in my judgement?

Does love really die out with death?

But he had left her, hurt her in return for her distrust.

He ripped her heart for she had scarred his beliefs.

Was his love imperfect?

Is it not immortal, like a soul?

"Don't dare."

Before he could comprehend what was happening, Aphrodite dragged her son to the bed. He protested, cried, spat at her.

Only to be chained.

"Love has no place in Olympus, my son. Your petty mortal woman is my slave."